Need some help with chair dimensions

Tom Baugues

My wife's niece would like to have a child's "time out" chair. I said to myself....Self...you can do that. So I started looking for a simple design to build. I found this chair online that should work well and am happy with the overall dimensions shown however I am only guessing at the width of some of the pieces as well as the thickness of the material itself. I'm making this out of Sassafras wood.

Looking at the plans, I'm guessing the thickness of the wood to be 3/4". I'm guessing the legs to be about 2" wide??? I'm guessing the seat supports to be about 3" wide??? After cutting my material to these sizes I'm questioning the width, as they look a little "bulky". I don't want to start gluing things together THEN decide the dimensions are too wide. So have a look at this chair and tell me what width you would make them. I'm going to change the seat and back to solid pieces instead of slats so my wife can paint a "saying" on them so I'm not concerned with those dimensions .

Thanks
chair 2.jpg

Last edited:
I'd taper the back edge of the front legs, and the front edge of the back legs, from 2" at the seat down to 1¼" at the floor. That'd give them a lighter appearance. I'd also start the back legs with stock wide enough to allow slanting the back back by about 5°, to make the chair more comfortable.

Of course, you could add a bit of curve to the back slats, too.

For strength, add some corner blocks to the leg/seat support junctions.

Other than that...

Thanks Jim. I've started assembly tonight. I'll post a picture when all finished.
Loving this 65 degree weather in February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i like jim's idea about the legs, and strengthening the chair (a lot of racking by its intended occupant:rofl:). only thing i would add, would be a seat belt, to prevent any premature escapes...:eek:

Finally got this project done (my part anyway). This child's chair is made from Sasafrass wood. The plan all along was to paint it. The seat and back one color with the frame a different color, then my wife will also be painting on some designs on the back and seat.
Should I use a primer or sealer on this before painting? It will be an "inside" chair. Not taken outdoors. I assume any kind of enamel paint will be ok???
IMG_3595 (Medium).JPG

Well now, that turned out pretty well! :thumb:

I'm late to the party but would have echoed Jim's thoughts - slanting the back would make it more comfortable, but is that the goal for a time out chair? :huh:

....Should I use a primer or sealer on this before painting? It will be an "inside" chair. ...

I routinely spray furniture, which starts with a sanding sealer (easy to sand super smooth). Since I am set up for that, it is an easy first coat or two for any paint - easier than brushing on a primer. However, I would not consider it a requirement, only an easy way to get on the first coat.

Since it is a time-out chair, did you want to tip the back 5 degrees backwards for comfort, or perhaps 5 degrees forward for punishment? Perhaps an electrical connection to the seat if they get too loud? Or some sharp points protruding at various places in case they wiggle too much? Just a thought :rolleyes:

...Since it is a time-out chair, did you want to tip the back 5 degrees backwards for comfort, or perhaps 5 degrees forward for punishment? Perhaps an electrical connection to the seat if they get too loud? Or some sharp points protruding at various places in case they wiggle too much? Just a thought :rolleyes:

You, Sir, are a man after my own heart! :rofl: :rofl: :D