Fly fishing flies

Rob Keeble

Well i know there ate some fly fisherman here so i thought i would share some pics with ya all.

My new Canadians (a close friend of mine that has passed, son and wife that moved to Canada from SA in late December)
Invited us to warm weather traditional SA BBQ.

Their container full of furniture arrived Friday so they were keen to have us round.

Well he brought out his flies he tied back in SA to suite the aquatic / terrestrial insect life back in SA.

Man i am so so impressed with his fly tying skills i had to show you guys. So here goes.

20170219_145600.jpg20170219_144304.jpg20170219_144046.jpg20170219_144000.jpg20170219_143843.jpg20170219_143721.jpg20170219_140730.jpg20170219_140115.jpg20170219_141126.jpg20170219_142203.jpg

Everyone thinks wood turning is a vortex to fall into, well tying flies is a whole cauldron of skills, tools, techniques and time that is something unto itself. It can get quite addictive. Sorry to hear of your buddies passing, the ties look excellent, great to hear of friends reuniting.

Everyone thinks wood turning is a vortex to fall into, well tying flies is a whole cauldron of skills, tools, techniques and time that is something unto itself. It can get quite addictive.

You're right about that. I have more tied up (NPI) in tying equipment, tools and materials than rods and reels. Those finely tied flies remind me that I need to spend some time at the vise.

There's some talent tied up in those (pun intended), nice looking bunch.

I've got a couple of boxes around that Dad did for me a few years back. I think he tied enough for all of us to last a few years and has taken a break since. ;)

good to see you have a friend close by with same intersts rob and i agree havnt seen the beetles that you showed before look like june bugs to me around here that would be more bass flys than the trout.. but trout might eat them to.. used tie flies but got away from it years ago.. one can only have some many irons in the fire..

Everyone thinks wood turning is a vortex to fall into, well tying flies is a whole cauldron of skills, tools, techniques and time that is something unto itself. It can get quite addictive. Sorry to hear of your buddies passing, the ties look excellent, great to hear of friends reuniting.

Absolutely right about that. I live in one of the best trout fishing areas in the country. We have many avid (can I say fanatical?) fly fishermen and fly tiers in the area plus thousands more visit each year.
The tiers are completely absorbed in the craft. And, BTW, we have the country's (maybe world's) largest supplier of fly tying parts in our area also.
Not to forget. Those are great flies and sure to be killer baits.

Bunch of troublemakers! Here i am, trying to work, and you have to bring up fly fishing. It's driving me nuts having to do book work/accounting knowing that the local streams are full of steelhead. And it's sunny and 50's outside today. This a rare occurrence for Michigan and February.

Sorry Rob about your buddy. My fathers friend who I was named after passed last night .

I never got into fly tying , it's really demands a whole new skill set and tools.

Those are really good looking fly's. I've used a few not to different than some of those here on the west coast with a bit of success (failure was most definitely mine not the fly's :D). The beetles are something else, I've never seen anything quite like them before, although some bugs are similar looking... would be interesting to hear how they work.