Well...Rats.....Why did I somehow know this was going to happen?

Tom Baugues

I don't buy very many things through Amazon. However I recently decided to buy myself a new disk/belt sander and ordered one from Amazon. I remember thinking that it would be a heavy item and the possibility of it getting dropped and damaged might be higher but I bought it anyway. I should have listened to that inner voice in my head.
One week later it was delivered by UPS tonight and the first thing I noticed was each end of the box had been crushed. I didn't say anything to the driver as I was hoping it was only the box and hoped it was packaged well enough to prevent any damage.

I got my camera out and took photos as I opened it and sure enough, once inside the parts were damaged. If it were only a few scratches I could let it go but the end roller of the belt sander is smashed.
Soooo......boxing it back up and shipping it back. :(

Attachments

• IMG_3479.JPG
    IMG_3479.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3476.JPG
    IMG_3476.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 45
I've had stuff like that happen a couple times, and Amazon's generally pretty good about handling thing like this. They'll likely send you a return shipping label, and send out an immediate replacement.

Went to the Amazon website and there is information about how to return a damaged item but the weird thing is... that they will not replace it with an identical item. I could choose "other" merchandise but not an identical item. So I had to accept a refund. Weird, because I would have been happy to leave my money with them and have them send me a replacement but that was not an option.

They did provide me a return shipping label and I'll be able to return it at no cost. I suppose I could just turn around and reorder another sander from them and hope it comes undamaged. That may be what I do.

that sucks, now imagine if you had paid shipping to Japan, and as it left the US it was now now covered under warranty and I have to pay the shipping back to get my money back or have them send me another one..... really, it could be worse LOL!

I don't buy very many things through Amazon. However I recently decided to buy myself a new disk/belt sander and ordered one from Amazon. I remember thinking that it would be a heavy item and the possibility of it getting dropped and damaged might be higher but I bought it anyway. I should have listened to that inner voice in my head.
One week later it was delivered by UPS tonight and the first thing I noticed was each end of the box had been crushed. I didn't say anything to the driver as I was hoping it was only the box and hoped it was packaged well enough to prevent any damage.

I got my camera out and took photos as I opened it and sure enough, once inside the parts were damaged. If it were only a few scratches I could let it go but the end roller of the belt sander is smashed.
Soooo......boxing it back up and shipping it back. :(

Take it from an old former warehouse/traffic service manager, First thing you do on receiving a package, note any damage to the carton, then take exception on the delivery receipt... fortunately, with Amazon, damaged goods will be cheerfully refunded or replaced.

Amazon is my FIRST stop when looking for anything.

I do get a LOT of amazon packages in the mail.

I will say - Amazon is spot ON with satisfying me any time I report something is damaged or just not right.

One time something was missing on a thing I bought. I called and they said they would send a new item. On a Sunday a guy in a pickup truck arrives and a guy delivers the package. Weird, but cool.

Bummer Tom. I'm another heavy Amazon user, never had an issue with a return at all. I did have them send me the wrong dovetail accessory 3 times before we figured out that their system had the wrong part number assigned. They told me to keep the wrong ones and sent me the correct one too, which were about $25 each.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

I'll admit to being a heavy Amazon user as well. It bets driving all over the region looking for something. But I have to admit, their returns choices often puzzle me including the lack of exchange on some items. they seem to vary a little depending on something, maybe the "reason for return". Whatever it is, they have always been good about taking things back.