a picture perfect gift

That really is beautiful maple and the end result is very, very spiffy. Nice grain wrap around those awful* miters, too.

*As in: that which inspires awe; exceedingly great.

when I see work like that, speaking only of the mitres, it drives me to want to try to get something close to that.
Pecking order, I know Im not the woodworker with mad skills like glenn and so many more here, but that doesn't mean I should avoid mitre joints.
so having seen that, when it was warm yesterday, I went out and watched a video on making a mitre sled, to give perfect mitres each time, and took my time.
The sled video is 5 minutes long, I worked 3.5 hours, and Im not done yet, will finish it up now and then the moment of truth. Not sure why I didn't build a sled years ago instead of spending countless cuts and adjustments on mitre saw to get it right.
I hope it works. as many of you know, or all of you, probably just me who didn't know, if you make sure the sled has the 90 degree angle perfect, it doenst matter if the angles are exactly 45 each as they will add up to 90, so out I go, I need to make some frames and small boxes, if this works, Ill even build a sled to put splines in.

thanx gentleman, you made me realize I need to get onto some jigs....mitre sled worked lilke a charm. sorry to cause thread drift, forgive me larry.
I wouldn't recommend using warped pressure treated pine to experiment, and I labeled cuts so I made sure I matched up opposite sides.

Attachments

• sled 005.jpg
    sled 005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 17
  • sled 007.jpg
    sled 007.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 18