I finally pulled the trigger. Just ordered a A8!

John Pollman

Well guys, I took the plunge. I've been wanting a 3D printer for a long time. After seeing Darren's video on Facebook yesterday, I finally went ahead and ordered an ANET A8. I should get it in about a week. I can't wait!

Glad I could push you over the edge John, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The hardest part of the assembly is pealing all the paper off the acrylic (if you choose to), so start letting the fingernails grow out now to be ready. :D Actually a razor blade I hear comes in really handy with that task. ;)

I brought those pieces into work to give to a co-worker's son. Everyone here was amazed at the quality of the prints, they were expecting them to be much rougher than they actually are.

BTW, I have a couple of updates to do to my build thread, but I've been pretty good about keeping things I've done listed and commenting on what hasn't worked.

Hi guys!

Bad news. Looks like I won't be getting the one I ordered on ebay. Here's what happened...

I ordered it first thing Tuesday morning. Within a couple of hours, I checked my email and got a message saying "item has shipped". I thought, "Wow, that's fast". But I realized that just means that they probably just created a shipping label and the package probably hadn't been accepted at UPS yet. I checked the tracking number they supplied Tuesday night and it was the same thing. Checked again Wednesday morning was the same thing. Got home from work and no change. I checked again at about 9:00 p.m. and still not accepted by UPS. At about 10:00 I got an email saying that it was out of stock and it would be at least two weeks until they got more in. But they may not be getting anymore! They said I could return and buy somewhere else. I replied immediately that I wanted a refund so i could buy elsewhere. This morning, no reply yet. I sent them another email directly saying that I want a refund now. Haven't heard back yet.

I went to ebay and tried to cancel the order, but it says that the order has been shipped so I can't cancel it. SO THAT'S WHY I GOT SUCH A QUICK REPLY THAT IT HAD SHIPPED! That way people can't cancel orders. The item is still listed as for sale with more than ten available. I tried to contact ebay, but just get stuck in a endless loop directing me here, there, and everywhere. I'm going to call them tomorrow after I get home from work and try to talk to someone directly. (good luck with that eh)

The good thing is that I used Paypal, so if it's not resolved soon, I'll contact them and tell them the story. I have the email they sent me so the seller doesn't have a leg to stand on. I have been using ebay for MANY years and never had a problem, so I usually glance at seller's ratings, and this one was 97.7%. That seemed pretty good. But I didn't notice that they have over 203,000 sales! I checked their negative feedback and there are 208 in the last month and over 2600 in the last year! I'm now going to look MUCH closer at seller ratings before spending this kind of money!

Anyway, to make a long story short. Where did you guys buy your A8's?

Thanks for reading, and any input you may have!

EDIT:

After doing a lot of Google searching, I found a LOT of places that looked just as sketchy as the ones on ebay. I finally found a place in MN that looks like it should be good and I won't have to deal with ebay. I can get an A8 with self leveler option for $210. That's not much more than ebay, and looks a lot more reputable. The link is below.

https://www.3dprintersbay.com/

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're having such an issue John. I actually got mine from GearBest.com, out of China. I've seen several folks on the ANet FB page say they've gotten theirs off ebay, but don't know which sellers. I hope the place you found has it and can get one to you. Hope that ebay takes care of you too or that seller gets you the refund.

Thanks Darren!

After not getting replies to my correspondence with the seller, I left negative feedback. I got a message this morning asking me to reverse my feedback. I replied and told them that I will reverse it if and when I get a refund. Hopefully that did the trick.

John, your experience describes what I had with Gearbest, although Gearbest did process a refund as soon as I told them that's what I wanted. The Ebay merchant I bought from is mayunstore and I had no problem at all. They are based in Chino, CA., according to the Ebay listing.

Just ordered an Alunar M505 from 3D printer bay. (the link above) The A8 was out of stock, but they say that the M505 is basically the same thing.

Now I'm getting excited again! :)

Oops! I'm going to make a call first thing Monday morning. I could have sworn that I saw that it was self leveling, but reading through it again I can't find it. I'd really like to have the self leveling option. If it isn't, I may choose a different machine. Stay tuned. LOL

Congratulations! Nice machine. :D:D

2017-audi-a8-NCI-2.jpg

OK, I think this is it. LOL

I decided to spend a few more bucks. I wanted a metal framed unit. I also wanted self leveling, so I added that option as well as the option of a 250 x 250 x 200 mm build capacity. Topped out at $325. I hope to have it next week some time. Here's the one I ordered from 3dprinterbay.com.

https://www.3dprintersbay.com/reprap-3d-printers/maxmicron-aluminium-frame-autolevelling-prusa-i3

Excellent. Getting those options up front, esp, autolevel, will make a nice sturdy unit.