When do you collect payment?

The vast majority of my sales are online. I don't ship unless it is paid for in full including S&H. I think pretty much everybody expects that. After all, if you order from someone like Amazon, they don't ship unless paid in full, do they? No reason for you to be any different. Even my local customers who buy directly from me expect to pay for it in full, without S&H of course. Anyway that's how I do it.

Totally retired, no sales of any kind any more but -

When I was selling things, high end pens and laser work, I never questioned payment. Online, next door or international, I took cash, check or Paypal. Never questioned when payment needed. I would ship or deliver when item was ready. People paying by check would ask if I was going to hold until check cleared. I was not going to even hold until I got the check if item was ready.

I had a large order of pens going to China (like > $500) had package in hand ready to go. Wife and I give each other the silent question look. Are you going to ship that without payment? After a few seconds thought I sent it. Was paid a few weeks later no problem.

I used this policy for over 12 years. Never once got burnt !!!! Guess I was lucky. Maybe part of the reason I did it was I like to be different. Funny but in most other things in general I trust no one.

Depends on product and client. What does your customer expect if he/she bought from a competitor? When it was customer furniture, it was 50% deposit, 50% upon delivery or before shipment. Now it is by purchase order and paid within 30 days. Different kind of client.

My experience is similar to others here. Sold a lot of items on Etsy and the money is in my account prior to shipping, in fact, as soon as the order is placed. For larger custom work it sometimes depends on the customer. Unknowns usually put up at least enough to cover materials in advance. Those with whom I've had good experiences in the past pay in full on delivery.

When I was doing EBAY, and whenever I ship something, I request payment in full before shipping. Personal checks to be deposited and shipping 10 days later.

When on personal transfer I take payment at delivery. I don't usually ask for a deposit if I know the client.

for me, on etsy, paid before shipping. but, as rennie said, its the nature of the beast on etsy. craft shows are usually cash & carry (or check, or credit card). for bigger items, like small furniture, enough to cover materials (usually a touch more than half), and the rest on delivery.

When I do a renovation I want 50% up front and then I invoice them for the rest, they have 30 days to pay. I mostly deal with companies not individuals.

Well, thanks all for the input.

I've been selling stuff for a while now online and like Pete I've sent it when it's finished and have never had a problem with payment, until now......maybe! I sent out six signs a couple of weeks ago and got paid for four the day they arrived (paypal). The fifth one two days later and I'm still waiting on the sixth. I've contacted the person twice. The first time no reply. The second I got a something happened I'm going to pay story. I'm about to contact them again with payment info and see what happens. I've probably sent well over 200 things without a problem. I hope this isn't the first :doh: