Wood haul....

Chuck Ellis

Almost embarrassed to show this after seeing Dan's wood, that is some pretty wood.... but we had a little wind here last Wednesday and a tree blew down across one of the roads into town. The road runs along the river from near my house to town. Some one cut the top out of the tree to clear the road.. only cleared one lane as they left a lot of debris on either side of the road and it's narrow to start with... just wide enough for two cars to pass between the river and the rocks on the other side of the road.... I stopped by today with my new fancy Stihl chain saw and cut up as much as I could before the back gave out. I did lose one round as it rolled down the bank to the edge of the river and there's no way could climb down to retrieve it... also had to leave a 3 or 4 ft piece that I got cut half way through and ran out of gas, plus couldn't lift the log.... all told I got 13 sections of log of what I'm relatively sure is ASH.
A new wood for me to turn, but figure should get near 30+ bowl blanks out of this... I'll core all the bigger pieces to get the extra blanks...
0303171508a.jpg0303171507.jpg0303171507b.jpg0303171507c.jpg0303171508.jpg

Nice load of ash there, Chuck! I hope you have better luck with ash than I did. I got ahold of some about 3 years ago and all it did was crack so bad it was unusable. Not check. Crack! But, what I did get to cooperate was some fine looking stuff. When I was turning it, and it would crack out so bad, I always wondered how it was the go to wood for baseball bats. Beats me. Of course the environment that the tree grows in has a lot to do with it's behavior. Good luck with it. Make me jealous! :thumb: