A Quick and Dirty Track Saw Miter Box

Dave Richards

Maybe someone will find this useful.

This weekend I needed to build a platform on which a gas stove/fireplace thingummy will sit on our ex screen porch. My CMS is bolted down on a cart in my shop and I wasn't all that happy about hauling it to the porch, I decided to use my Festool saw. To make it easier to make consistent cuts I banged together a miter box for it. I found some likely scraps and knocked it out. It ain't purty but it does the job. The far end pivots on a recessed carriage bolt and the near end locks in place with a single screw. It's not as quick to set the angle but it works fine for the job

Here's a better picture of the platform.

After the stove goes in and my knees recover, the carpet goes down and the porch will be finished.

Thanks Larry. That part I have to say was only partially my idea. The guy who built the rest of the porch did the finish work. He did an interesting thing that I probably wouldn't have thought of. He put OSB sheathing up before the car siding and then he painted it flat black where there might be gaps due to seasonal movement between the flat pine and the car siding. That makes the gaps less noticeable.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Rennie, no. the stove is up on legs. The only requirement is that it not be fabric underneath.

Rob, the green material is oil based paint...on OSB. We went through about 2 weeks of rain right after the floor was put down but before the roof was installed. We had about 8 hours from the OSB going in before it started to rain so we slapped some paint on it to protect it. We had always planned to cover it--carpet goes down when my knees have recovered--so we weren't very concerned about the color.