Rook stick versus Fire stick

DANG GONE auto correct spelling!!!!! Title is supposed to say Ruko stick versus Fire stick.

I am looking for information (maybe even first hand) concerning the new options for watching tv. I really detest paying for tv but do enjoy the offerings available on my dish package. Tess and Eric got me to looking at a fire stick but ran across the roku stick. Wondering, do any of you currently use either of these systems or in the past have used either of these systems? What were the bad and good associated with them? Appreciate any comments and conversations this thread creates.

Last edited:
I have an AppleTV 4 and Amazon fire (stick and box). Both have similar apps and work about the same. I have Netflix, HBO Now and SlingTV subscriptions. Network channels are thru an indoor antenna (mounted in the attic), run through an amplifier/splitter to three TVs. I am very comfortable using the streaming devices but there will be some getting used to if you have not used them before. My parents had unknowingly activated Showtime and Amazon subscription by pressing the wrong options. Now I have parental lock activated on the devices. There have been occasions when the devices stopped working, mainly due to Internet outages. Sometimes, I have to reconnect them to the network or restart the device. It is easy for me to do but for my parents (or even for my wife) it can be very intimidating. I used to have Dish Antenna. It was very easy to use compared to the streaming devices but slowly antennas will be phased out (like directv). Plus, the money savings cannot be ignored.

We've got a Roku 4, which is a little more robust than the Roku stick, but my wife loves it. We bought it for a room that we don't have cable ran to yet. It's got a ton of free channels to watch over wifi, then several subscription services. She mostly uses it with Netflix, I did pay for Sling (https://www.sling.com) for a while to get a bunch of cable stations we have in other rooms, but she really watched netflix more than it, so we canceled the service. The Roku also has Amazon's service on it, so can watch content from it as well, but I think they have some that they limit to only Fire Stick.

Cut the Cable TV LOOONG ago. Years ago - maybe 10 years - I just don't remember how long ago, but I was a younger man.

We do have cable internet.

We have Netflix, and just recently my daughter got Fire TV for us.

On the fire stick I subscribed to Starz for $9/mo, but I am going to cancel it.

Between Amazon Prime, Netflix, and the fire stick we are satisfied with the offerings.

I really HATE to pay for anything. I RARELY ever "rent" or "buy" a movie.