It's Friday! 3/10/2017 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like we're calling for snow here tonight, 1 to 3 inches, then a high of 44 tomorrow. I'm needing to get back to some house projects and do a little shop cleanup mostly this weekend.

What's on everyone else's plates?

We are experiencing our usual gorgeous weather this weekend, even a bit warmer than normal. I am tasked with domestic chores. Digging out from under the pile that mounted while I was under the weather. Still not completely clear of the head congestion, coughing, etc., but it is better than it was. Hopefully next week doesn't bring on a relapse. An already very busy week was further impacted by the death of one of my members and an adoption hearing for one of my kids. And you all thought I only worked on Sundays and only preached! Meanwhile I am way, way behind on the house. Engineer's waiting on me and I haven't had the time to get some stuff together for him.

After several weeks of unseasonably mild weather we are back below freezing. The sun is shining and I have some fallen limbs to clean up, then maybe some shop time. Been busy here as just had a knee replacement last week. So I've been chauffeur to PT and doctors appointments, PT coach, shopper and chief cook and bottle washer. Keeps me on my toes!

Back to WINTER here.

Saturday I am going out to help get an older ShopBot up and running and do a little training. Paying job - helps my hobby budget

Sunday another paying job to do some CNC cutting for a different client.

In between - I am actually in process of building some kitchen cabinets. I should be able to glue up a couple of carcases.

Doing some odds and ends in my shop along with playing with my 3D printer a bit. There are days my old brain goes into overload, but I'm enjoying all of it!

Actually did some WOOD objects - plaques I've been needing to get shipped off the grandkids.

Saturday will be more shop time 3d printing some items for gifts and general straightening up.

Sunday - the usual - I'll prepare brunch, help LOML prepare some shrimp for dinner and chill for NASCAR.

Last edited:
After several weeks of unseasonably mild weather we are back below freezing. The sun is shining and I have some fallen limbs to clean up...

55° here yesterday. 27° this morning, with a couple inches of snow. Wind was gusting 50+ mph on Wednesday. Lotsa branches down all over the yard. I'd just cleaned up the last bunch, and had a bonfire, about a week ago, but now it looks like I never did anything. We had rain earlier this week, too, so it's too wet to get out there right now. Maybe by the end of next week (more snow predicted for early next week).

In the meantime, mucking about in the shop. Working on a shelf unit for a friend/client. Red Oak. I don't much like working with oak any more. Prefer cherry or walnut... Doing a bit of long overdue shop cleanup, and some tool maintenance, along with some tractor maintenance, too.

I have a wood splitter for the weekend, thinking of dealing with some of next winter's supply, which has been lying there since last fall. Forecast is flurries and windchill of -27c tomorrow, which might dampen my enthusiasm and drive me into the shop or office. Sunday's supposed to be much better. On the road all next week, so have to get things organized around home.

Last edited:
I did a little bit of shop resupplying today. Then went and saw the new movie Kong:Skull Island. Fantastic!!! Lots of action. Got to see John Goodman and Samuel L Jackson get eaten! That's all I'm gonna say about it. Tomorrow supposed to be heavy rains, so I have no clue what will be happening. I ain't saying winter is over because I have seen ice here in the first two weeks of April. But Sunday I am putting in some tomatoes.

Started the weekend watching Hacksaw Ridge, not sure that was entertainment, sure is an incredible true human story. If you dont have stomach for really graphic war scenes avoid the movie at all cost.

Our temps have dropped and snow has been flying around our parts on and off all afternoon.
Hope to get in the shop tomorrow if its not too cold to heat up.
Weather will dictate the terms this weekend. Ya all have a good weekend now.

LOML and I went to the Rio Grande Art & Crafts Festival Friday to find her a few birthday gifts. Makes it much easier when she tells me what she wants. There's no surprise, but also no disappointment. (I was SURE she was going to like the new mop I got her that one year.) After we got done there, I hit the Harbor Freight Sidewalk Sale and picked up an electric pole pruner (chainsaw on a stick) and a $20 reciprocating saw. I guess this means I'm out of excuses for not getting the fruit trees pruned. And I'd better hurry up, the leaves are already starting to bud.

Today most of my day was spent at the shooting range with the practical shooting club. We had more shooters than normal, plus a number of less-experienced folks, so I did very little shooting and primarily helped as a Safety Officer/Coach. It was a great day for it. The weather was in the low 70s and the winds stayed at bay until we were done packing up.

Tomorrow looks like it'll be mostly yard work, although the weather is supposed to cool off a bit. Still nothing like you guys in the northeast are seeing. Show? Sheesh! :rolleyes: