Another Amazing Table

Beautiful table.

So why was he hammering the wood around the mortises at about 7:09 in the video?

He is compressing the wood before they pieces are glued in. The fit he makes is tight, so to install the bow-ties he hammers them first, to make them smaller, then when the glue is added and the pieces are pounded home they will swell with the glue and they will fit perfectly. I've seen some English craftsmen do a similar thing.

He is compressing the wood before they pieces are glued in. The fit he makes is tight, so to install the bow-ties he hammers them first, to make them smaller, then when the glue is added and the pieces are pounded home they will swell with the glue and they will fit perfectly. I've seen some English craftsmen do a similar thing.

Very intersting...Thanks! :wave:

Interesting video, thanks for sharing!

At 6:50 I think? that that is a super surfacer, that's a machine you really don't see state side and I kind of wonder why he chose to use it on those pieces... (I only sort of know of them anecdotally) - maybe for very specific dimensioning?

Interesting video, thanks for sharing!

At 6:50 I think? that that is a super surfacer, that's a machine you really don't see state side and I kind of wonder why he chose to use it on those pieces... (I only sort of know of them anecdotally) - maybe for very specific dimensioning?

You are correct, they usually are used for softwoods, only, in that video he is surfacing black walnut, not the hardest wood I guess.

I also just realized that I'm an idiot (actually that is an ongoing discovery) but I linked to the wrong video, that is the old video, here is the new video that I wanted to link to.

The second one is maybe a bit more in my style preference but they're both nice tables.

Its kind of interesting because one fellow I know locally does some woodwork (he mostly makes a specialty product) and ended up getting some folks commissioning tables that he couldn't turn down at several thousand per on top of the cost of goods. I wouldn't have thought there was that much demand for high end tables in what is a fairly poor rural town but apparently there was enough he was being kept pretty busy making them on top of his other work (was hard to say no to the extra cashflow :) ).

The ?low speed? (might just be the camera) spinning blade of death with the adjustable fence he uses for cutting the tennon haunches is quite the interesting rig as well. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it before either.

The second one is maybe a bit more in my style preference but they're both nice tables.

Its kind of interesting because one fellow I know locally does some woodwork (he mostly makes a specialty product) and ended up getting some folks commissioning tables that he couldn't turn down at several thousand per on top of the cost of goods. I wouldn't have thought there was that much demand for high end tables in what is a fairly poor rural town but apparently there was enough he was being kept pretty busy making them on top of his other work (was hard to say no to the extra cashflow :) ).

The ?low speed? (might just be the camera) spinning blade of death with the adjustable fence he uses for cutting the tenon haunches is quite the interesting rig as well. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it before either.

Well when you see what even Ikea wants for a decent veneered table, I think some people can justify the cost of a table like that that your grand-kids will be fighting over one day!

There are a lot of machines like that one you talk about here in Japan, the whole OSHA thing is not strong here, they still believe in personal responsibility.

Nice videos. :thumb: Subscribed. I like the style and live edge treatment in the second video, but keep thinking how hard it would be to clean up the inevitable spilled milk, gravy, etc. that would run down that crack if we had that table. :p

I also just realized that I'm an idiot (actually that is an ongoing discovery) but I linked to the wrong video, that is the old video, here is the new video that I wanted to link to.

Gorgeous work, and amazingly intricate.

I don't quite get the design though... sure the live edge boards meeting at the middle looks neat, but it just seems that it is not a practical idea for a dining table. That tight crack is going to collect crumbs and debris, isn't it? Am I missing something?

(Yeah, I'm missing that Ted posted pretty much the same comment! :eek: )

Marvelouswork. It took me until the scoundrel video to realize that he was gluing the dovetail only at the one end to avoid the differential expansion of the cross grains.

What was the jig that he used to hold the material when using the router table? It seemed very easy to use with the projecting handles.