Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Osprey CNC upgrade

Well, I tried something new today.

As part of the upgrade I needed to cut access holes into the welded steel frame. The steel is low carbon steel and not all that thick. It should be a piece of cake, but these routers are not machining centers and not really designed to cut steel.

So the cutting parameters

1) I just happened to have - 5 flute SGS TiAln coated end mills.
    2) I ran at 8000 RPM
    3) I ran about 20 IPM
    4) I used a spiral ramp infeed at .002 DOC
    5) I used Tap Magic cutting fluid

No problem at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access hole-2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	98816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access hole-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	98815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Access hole-3.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	98817

The hole is 1" wide x 3" long.

I will be bolting the 8020 with 2 - 1/2-20 High strength bolts. I am making special washers that are 1/4 thick 1" wide and 3" long. Each washer will have 2 holes for the bolts. The bolts will go through the 3" square 8020 extrusion with the special washers and very very very tight.

All of this so I can make CNC dovetail joints. I have seen some really cool joints out there. I will not be bound to the restrictions of a template.

Wow! That cut cleanly. No chatter or excessive heat. Very nice.

That will work! I hadn't done any metal until last year on mine, just did some aluminum, but won't hesitate to do it again. I will work out a better splash pan before doing it again, other than the mess it cut well.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Love thy neighbor, yet pull down not thy hedge.

I have more pics and videos but have not had time to compile a youtube session.

Some history that is not shone here:
    The TEE slot segments on the table are all individual segments that are 2" wide and about 54" long.
    I cut them in half and added new 10-32 countersunk holes. The cut was 1/8 wide and I moved the front segments 1/8 north to but against the now new rear segments. I did not cut the two outer segments. That made the fronts uneven.

I trimmed the front with my circular saw.

Name:	A upgrade-1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	98897
    Though not as neat as I would have liked, it is pretty neat.

Name:	A upgrade-3.jpg 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	98899

Then I used the machine to drill all the new tap holes.
    I tapped all 36 holes with my Bosch Battery drill. Made short work of it as it was 10 seconds at best to tap each of the 36 10-32 tapped holes.

Name:	A upgrade-5.jpg 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	98901

Made a new access hole in the right side same as left side.

When I put in the bolts I could not fit the 3/4 socket in the access hole. I just turned on the spindle and manually moved the machine with the hand pendant and widened the access holes like the machine was a Bridgeport. No problem - very simple.

Name:	A upgrade-4.jpg 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	98900

All ready for the next stage of the operation. Locating the 3" square extruded beams.

Name:	A upgrade-6.jpg 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	98902

I roughly located and held in place with clamps.
    In this view you can see the access slots I made in the extrusion. I made the slots on all 4 sides so I could insert the "T" nuts into the "T" slots in the extrusion. I will have ready access; top, bottom, front, back on both sides. Plenty of places to be clamping.

Name:	A upgrade-8.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	98904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A upgrade-7.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	98903

In order to get the beam in alignment with the "X" axis I lowered the spindle in the bracket on the "Z" axis and used a 10" long drill to get down under the table to help with the alignment. I gently touched the extrusion so the drill turned freely by hand and just touching the extrusion. I then zeroed out the "Y" axis, backed the "Y" away and moved "X" to opposite end of extrusion. I then moved "Y" back to zero and moved the extrusion to gently touch. I clamped and rechecked both sides. I would call that, within .001-.002 in about 48".

I then transferred the hole pattern from the extrusion that I previously drilled onto the machine frame. I drilled the 1/2 holed in the frame from underneath with my battery drill and a 1/4" bit. From that I put a 1/2 but in my battery drill and opened the holes through the access holes from above.

Name:	A upgrade-9.jpg 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	98905

I put the 1/2-20 fine thread high strength bolts in the access holes. I previously made some 1/4 CRS spacer washers to span the extrusion so I could crank the torque on the bolts and not crush the extrusion.

Used the drill alignment again and got the extrusion back to the .001-.002 alignment.

Name:	A upgrade-2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	98898

In order to align the top extrusion and bottom extrusion I needed a "PRECISION" square. This is to align the top and bottom extrusions to be perpendicular to the table. I "know" that cutting the square on my machine is better than my flimsy framing square. It is FAR more precise on the 90 degree. I sanded it and rounded the edges a little. When I am done I will 1/8 roundover the whole thing on the router table. I may do some fancy "V" grooving and will Poly it. After all this IS a really nice square. 24" inside, 28" outside.

Name:	A upgrade-10.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	98906

This is how the square will be used.

In my estimation, this vertical champing is much nicer than Frank Hogsworths vertical clamping.

More to follow.
    Last edited by Leo Voisine; 04-03-2017 at 02:11 AM.