Little video

Dave I enjoyed the video. My students when I show it to them will point out your long sleeves and ring. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks Jon.

I fail to see why pointing out long sleeves and rings. I have always worked in long sleeves , Army days taught me that. I need to get a smock to working when on the lathe. The ring. I recently started wearing a wedding ring after 30 years. I seemed to bug me back then.

Just Google lathe accidents. You haven't had your lathe grab long hair, a polishing cloth or a loose sleeve yet, but it happens in the blink of an eye, so you teach the kids to roll up their sleeves. A machine gets a hold on that ring and bye bye finger. Both are good safety tips for young folks. Old dogs ignore at their own peril. I'd wager a beer one of the reasons the ambassador doesn't use a spinney thing is 'cause he's afraid his beard would get twirled up.:D

Just Google lathe accidents. You haven't had your lathe grab long hair, a polishing cloth or a loose sleeve yet, but it happens in the blink of an eye, so you teach the kids to roll up their sleeves. A machine gets a hold on that ring and bye bye finger. Both are good safety tips for young folks. Old dogs ignore at their own peril. I'd wager a beer one of the reasons the ambassador doesn't use a spinney thing is 'cause he's afraid his beard would get twirled up.:D

I understand. I've started rolling my sleeves recently. But when I'm working with finishes I use long sleeves.

Very interesting video. Those floor samples are outstanding.
Rings now but early on saw a friend lose his finger from jumping off aircraft engine stand, he hit the floor and the finger was waving up top.
Now it's slow and safe. May have something to do with old age?
David

Great video Dave!

I usually take my jewelry off before going to the shop, I got my hand in a bad spot once and realized that the advice to not wear it was good. Also doesn't get scuffed up as bad since. ;)

I think there is nothing wrong with the shirt or ring. Guys this is a promotional video. Dave is a businessman in the art world being interviewed on a video, he needs to be dressed accordingly i dont see him in the video at the lathe. He was not working at the saw.

Dave i am happy for you, great promotional video, you came across very genuine , knowledgeable and trustworthy all key issues in a person selecting a restorer to handle their previous piece.
Cool to see all the staff with corporate t shirts as uniform. Leaves a great impression.
Well done especially the attention to detail bit and the genuine touch of emotion.
Some day i gotta pay you a visit. By the way, last night i showed your racoon pic to a art student from UK, my wife's niece. She was blown away.
Thats my one critique i think you should have mentioned you not just a restorer or finisher but artist too with an eye for detail.😉

Dave, Rob and all,

The video showing now is not the video I saw, I saw a video of Dave turning turkey calls. That is the video I was commenting on. I sincerely apologize for the error on my part. I will watch this video on my lunch hour and respond to it. Dave, was just commenting on what my students would say if they saw that other video, did not mean to create problems. Sorry.

Thanks Steve and Rob.
Rob At this time I'm working on separating the Art Restoration , the gilding , my art and turkey calls from the main body of the shop. We'll be doing 4 more web sites and videos and hopefully lick them all together. But keep separate.

Dave, Rob and all,

The video showing now is not the video I saw, I saw a video of Dave turning turkey calls. That is the video I was commenting on. I sincerely apologize for the error on my part. I will watch this video on my lunch hour and respond to it. Dave, was just commenting on what my students would say if they saw that other video, did not mean to create problems. Sorry.

Jon I totally agree, I do understand. If I were a student I'd jump on it too. You guys are straightening me out LOL

Nice video - well done.

Incidentally, after 46 1/2 years my wedding ring has been off 20 minutes... when I had gained so much weight, it was pinching and the jeweler had to stretch it. And I have been woodworking for over 65 years. I may be dumb about the ring, but I can still count to 10.

Great video, Dave! :thumb: The actor you got to play the lead role looks a lot like you> :D

...early on saw a friend lose his finger from jumping off aircraft engine stand...

My dad did something similar involving jumping off the back of a semi trailer onto a loading dock wearing his high school class ring. Made it tough for him to eat shelled peanuts or M&Ms out of a bowl for the rest of his life. His right hand leaked. :)

Some of you guys might remember I had a wake-up call with a glove (and in a split second a shirt sleeve) on a drill press. I was wearing a wedding ring but it didn't contribute to the problem. I did all sorts of things wrong that night, but since then, I don't wear a glove, I roll up my sleeves, tie back my hair, take off my jewelry, and don't try to enlarge a hole with a Forstner bit without clamping the workpiece down tight.

Thanks Vaughn
Let me turn the ring around, a long time ago not tomany years after Shelly and I were married, I went hunting and climbed a tree with spikes. One of my spukes slipped and my hand slipped BUT.... my ring caught a nub on the limb giving me just enough time to grab on. I had a safty belt on but you never think about the belt when a slip happens.

Hope you don't mind me sharing your video Dave. I sent it to a friend that quit his IT job a few years ago to start up a NHance Cabinet Refinishing franchise (https://www.nhance.com/cabinets/). He's gone from "what have I done?" to "I need to hire more people" and is booked out for 4 months at any given time. Turns out he loves the refinishing process and for someone that didn't do much (if any) woodworking before, it's become something he loves doing.