Folding SawStop Table Saw Outfeed Table

Stuart Ablett

OK, it has been six years since I built this.... (Thread is Here)

sawstop_outfeed_table.jpg

I've been doing all this finishing work on the entertainment center and I'm bored, actually I need to build something LOL, so here goes, I have to cut up a bunch of long pieces and the outfeed table I have, while it works is not that great, time for a proper one.

I've looked around the internet and I've found a few that have some good points but nothing that exactly meet my needs.

folding_outfeed_readymade.jpg

I could spend the money and buy one like this, but I'm sure the shipping would be killer, and I don't want the roller type, I want a solid table.

folding_outfeed_example2.jpg

This is really nice, but all those aluminium extrusions are expensive and it looks over complex for what I need/want.

folding_outfeed_example1.jpg

This is nice too, but I don't want two legs, nor do I want it that wide, my shop is small and this would take up too much room, but we are getting there.

folding_outfeed_example3.png

This is getting close, I don't need the extra groove along the back as my fence is a T-square type, there is nothing on the backside of the table.

I like the leg in this video....

.... it is a sliding dovetail, now I would not put it against the saw, I don't think, but put it onto the floor, with an adjustable foot so I can level it if needed.

IMG_2644.JPG

This is what I have to work with, you can see the large 6" DC connection and the router table DC port on the upper left.
I think I'll limit the size to width of the cast iron section of the saw top, and I'll make a cut out for the DC port when the table is folded down. I know it will look a bit odd, but I'll get more table out of it that way.

Well the adventure begins!

Cheers!

Good luck and I'll look forward to what you come up with. I would start by getting the 6" connection to the saw streamlined somehow. Since you are going from 6" to 4" rather abruptly you could just attach a 6" HVAC port to the saw body . . . . Oh, wait . . . Doh!

I forget the nearest BORG that sells imperial sized HVAC is probably what . . . 11 hours by plane ;-)

Making some progress...

f63e264dc5bdfa013438de4fa5bef062.jpg

I attached a piece to the back of the saw, then some ends onto that piece.

52d5ee67ea49edd7efa2de6920abc164.jpg

67ca06c8d601dfaa0ec551f54b937a44.jpg

Next I made a piece that rotates with just a small gap between the attached piece and the rotating piece.

7bc1e64050baefd8f53f18ca064f85a9.jpg

I then made a table that will go almost to the floor when folded down, and will give me about 86 cm (34") when deployed.

fee018f8c430828a8462a867e38fe4bb.jpg

I have to say I really don't like the hole, so I think I'll make up a pattern and cut a piece to fill the hole when deployed.

Next up will be the sliding dovetail leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
aa55ed6086d081fdafe888803fedde78.jpg

046c5a9de2d4f9dc160dac8f064abfcc.jpg

111a106454024a0935cdd02ab3cd3fb0.jpg

I cut out the square, so I can swing the outfeed table down over the DC hose without disconnecting it.

9b4f5627bef67c03ced95f6e7aaf2af4.jpg

I made a piece to insert into the space while in use.

Now onto the flip down leg.

I'm very close to being done.

61f8c65080ae8027f2e2387f15460fd0.jpg

8da3dbe474458fb5f094c2cbcf18641a.jpg

I need one more throw bolt, or latch to lock the dovetail leg in the deployed position.

I also need to make the back edge piece for the removable insert.

c03b86df92242c2621deccdce36cd933.jpg

The dovetailed leg is cut so it swings past 90 degrees by 10 degrees so the leg sits on a bit of a slant.

b0ecc68318ab3e305bbda698e018d211.jpg

b75a90e7e8142992cda6e852475cde4a.jpg

f3c55c9bcd6c54823317a801e5fac66c.jpg

I think this is going to be good, it sets up and comes down really quickly and easily.

Well, That's just great. Another idea I'm going to have to steal from you!

I've got the extrusions for the fencing coming monday. I think I'm going to have to build one of these for my saw!

That really is clever. What keeps the square insert in place, maybe it's described and I missed it. Did you bevel the edges of it to help prevent snags?

Well, That's just great. Another idea I'm going to have to steal from you!

I've got the extrusions for the fencing coming monday. I think I'm going to have to build one of these for my saw!

Yeah sure blame me LOL

I'm sure yours will turn out even better!

Last edited:
That really is clever. What keeps the square insert in place, maybe it's described and I missed it. Did you bevel the edges of it to help prevent snags?

Yes I did Fred, we shall see how it works, I hope it works well, edges beveled, and it is at least flush, if not somewhat below the surface of the rest of the table. If it moved at all, I think I'll put s bit of steel and a magnet to hold it in place.
Cheers

Nice job Stu, you manage to keep me greatful every time i see what space you have to work with and how you overcome the challenges it presents. I have a mini fold out metal outfeed table that came with my sears saw but its narrow and wobbly. Yours looks like a way better solution.

Nice job Stu, you manage to keep me greatful every time i see what space you have to work with and how you overcome the challenges it presents. I have a mini fold out metal outfeed table that came with my sears saw but its narrow and wobbly. Yours looks like a way better solution.

Thanks Rob.

I know my space is small compared to most in North America, but for downtown Tokyo my space is large! LOL

I know every time I see a pic or video of someone's shop over there and they say "My shop is too small!" and I see a 4x8 bench and a 4x8 assembly table, all covered with junk, as well and HUGE walls that are bare I have to bite my tongue LOL.

I think the best compliment I have every received about my shop, and I'm sorry I don't remember who it was, but he asked if I was a retired submariner, as he was and really appreciated my use of all available space, I thought that was pretty cool!

Cheers!

That was a great job Stu. I just joined this forum and love seeing all you talented guys and plagarizing your ideas.
I made a outfeed for my Rigid R4512 that used the dovetail design, and I also stole this idea from the same guy you listed.
I created a You Tube video if your bored, that shows mine. Unfortunately it was made after I built it, so it does not show a lot of the details (and cussing) of my build. Anyway here it is: https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=_JIvKYOR_bA

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JIvKYOR_bA

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good! Can you attach the fill in piece with a hinge, so that it swings out of the way of the hose when you drop the table, but winds up where you need it when the table is raised?

Think about hinging the filler. Soss hinges would work and not show on face. Then the filler would flip up to clear vac hose and down when table is up.