Fire Extinguisher Check – 2017

glenn bradley

Just a reminder. I was putting up a new laundry cabinet which brought me into proximity of a fire extinguisher that I pass every time I leave the shop. I am diligent in checking my safety gear but, low and behold; the extinguisher I pass more often than any other was in the red!?!

Take a moment the next time you go into the shop, before you even put your coffee down, check your extinguishers. A recharge or replacement is cheap insurance. That is all.

About a year ago, my wife looked at the fire extinguisher hanging by the shop door as she was walking out. She checked the tag and asked when I last checked it. Well, I had to admit I looked at it when I hung it there nine (9) years before. She suggested it might be good to buy a fresh one - so we did! After the new one was in place, I took the old one outside, pulled the pin, pressed the lever and it sprayed just fine, so it's hanging in our lawn equipment shack now.

About a year ago, my wife looked at the fire extinguisher hanging by the shop door as she was walking out. She checked the tag and asked when I last checked it. Well, I had to admit I looked at it when I hung it there nine (9) years before. She suggested it might be good to buy a fresh one - so we did! After the new one was in place, I took the old one outside, pulled the pin, pressed the lever and it sprayed just fine, so it's hanging in our lawn equipment shack now.

Once used, it loses its charge. Time to get it refilled or replaced.
If it just sits and gets in the red, sometimes you can bring it around by the mallet on the base trick (it won't be bottomed out though).
I've got one to do, but I have to wait until May, to catch our guy (wish he had a shop I could take it to, but he is always out servicing).

I actually checked the 2 I have in my shop last week and all was good. But, now I see this I remembered I had not checked the ones I keep around in the house. Better get off the dime and do that as well. Thanks for the reminder.

I try (unsuccessfully) to check mine every year. That check includes taking them off the hook and turnng them upside down. I was told to do this by a fireman who said the powder can settle and not work as it should. The upside down thing loosens it up a little.