Hinged Extruder Cooler

Nice design. I'm not entirely convinced that the heat sink is needed with these if the fan is left in place, but maybe once you get up to the ABS temps it may get hotter towards the top of the tube.

I might have to do this.

Yesterday had a stuck filament for the first time in a long time and while fixing it, the heater and thermistor fell out of my hotend.

Fortunately I had a couple extra hotends laying around, so I put plugs on the wires and replaced it.

This looks like it might make things a lot easier to work with!

Nice design. I'm not entirely convinced that the heat sink is needed with these if the fan is left in place, but maybe once you get up to the ABS temps it may get hotter towards the top of the tube.

I ran without the heat sink for a few tests and the temps didn't seem too bad. But, I was getting ready to print some nylon (230 & 75), so I split the heat sink. It helped keep the temp above the hot end to around 36C. With the heat sink and fan, the temp at the top of the heat sink is 30C. My room temp is 23C.

I might have to do this.

Yesterday had a stuck filament for the first time in a long time and while fixing it, the heater and thermistor fell out of my hotend.

Fortunately I had a couple extra hotends laying around, so I put plugs on the wires and replaced it.

This looks like it might make things a lot easier to work with!

Stuck filament was my main motivation - especially when I started working with nylon, which is real flexible. I had a problem with the nylon starting to wrap around the idler, making a mess. I emailed the manufacturer of the filament, Argos, and got a good response. I was using the correct starting hot end temp of 230C, but they said I need to use a 75C bed temp, reduce the feed rate to 25mm/s (1500mm/min), and use NO bed cooling. I had been using the S3D default feed rate of 3600mm/min for PLA, which works great. The high feed rate caused the nylon the wrap around.