An English Shop

Hi everyone.

I just found this forum and it looks like a friendly place. Here's a few shots of my workshop in Manchester, England.

cd889f9f.jpg

I have 1000 sq ft in the main shop, with a 500 sq ft sprayshop next door. I employ one other cabinetmaker and a finisher making one-off pieces and kitchen and bedroom projects.

Img_0437.jpg

This is a shot of my SCM panel saw, with 2 radial arm saws behind. One is for cross-cutting and the other set up with dado cutters. We are not allowed to use dado sets in table saws in Europe!

Img_0439.jpg

This shows my Wadkin planer (jointer) and thicknesser (planer) next to the 36" drum sander. One day I'll replace that with a wide belt sander but it's going to have to do for now!

9761b482.jpg

And here's the spray booth in the next door unit.

Cheers
Duncan

Last edited:
Can someone please tell a computer illiterate limey how to make the photos come up automatically?

Cheers
Duncan

Edit - 16.5.07 Thanks guys! I seem to have got that sussed.

Last edited:
Brad, no need to apologize on the compter business. Just click on the little paper clip icon at the top of the message box. It will walk you through the upload process. Take heed of the maximum size it will accept. You have a nice looking, well organized shop in a compact space. But, leave it to a Yank to be critical :rolleyes: your shaper in the first picture seems to be a very light duty affair. Is that all you have? And welcome to our family.

Can someone please tell a computer illiterate limey how to make the photos come up automatically?

Since your photos are already hosted elsewhere on the 'Net, you can skip the upload step and simply surround your URLs with "IMG" tags. For example, typing in the following (without the spaces)

[ img ]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/bradnaylor/cd889f9f.jpg[ /img ]

will result in this:

cd889f9f.jpg

However ... as you can see, the image is a bit large for "inline display". Consider either:

1) Following the instructions in Vaughn's tutorial, which will give the reader a thumbnail view linked to the full-size image (with the nice side effect of not having to worry about photobucket.com "dropping" your images at some point), or

2) Posting smaller versions of your photos (say, 640x480 or maybe 800x600) on photobucket.com and linking to them directly using IMG tags as I mentioned.

PS - Nice shop!

Welcome Brad. Very nice looking shop. I'm sure there's more than one member here besides me who would love to have a finishing room "next door".

The British Are Coming!, The British Are Coming! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hi there Brad! :wave: Welcome to the family.

May I park my shop inside yours to keep it dry? :eek:

DT

But, leave it to a Yank to be critical :rolleyes: your shaper in the first picture seems to be a very light duty affair. Is that all you have?

Jeez Frank,

I'd forgotten how old that first picture was!

When I first set up the shop a couple of years ago I was making a lot of pine furniture with profile/scribe (cope & stick) doors. What you can see there is a station of 3 router tables - one for each of the door frame profiles, and one for raising panels. This meant I could leave everything set up and then knock out a door in about ten minutes with no fiddling about.

Since then, my business has moved on to hardwoods and MDF and so last year I bought an old Wadkin spindle moulder and use that for most things together with 2 router tables for smaller stuff.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Cheers
Duncan

Last edited:
brad, after lookin` at your shop pics again it just dawned on me that your tablesaw is the same model that sold me on scmi equipment a few years ago...first saw i`d ever run that could throw me and a piece of 12/4 oak across the shop and not even grunt...thanks for the memories! tod

brad, after lookin` at your shop pics again it just dawned on me that your tablesaw is the same model that sold me on scmi equipment a few years ago...first saw i`d ever run that could throw me and a piece of 12/4 oak across the shop and not even grunt...thanks for the memories! tod

Tod,

Nice to know someone has had the same saw! I got mine last year for £350 ($700) off a guy who was retiring - that's all he wanted for it!:rofl:

I've never had that kind of kick-back, but here in England we tend to fit riving knives!:)

Cheers
Duncan

Last edited:
Can you elaborate on why you can't run dado blades in a table saw?

Doug

Oh boy, Doug!

This is about the biggest can of worms you can open when discussing shop safety in Europe. Many hours have been wasted on woodworking forums over here arguing about dado blades.

Basically, in a trade environment throughout Europe it is unlawful to fit dado blades in a table saw, and has been for many years. It is nigh on impossible to buy a table saw with a long enough spindle to take them anyway.

For a hobby woodworker in his garage the rule doesn't apply, and one or two importers market saws and dado sets specifically to this sector. However, they cannot be used commercially, even by a one-man band.

It is legal to use dado blades in a radial arm saw, but again all machines marketed in the last decade or so have short spindles which will only take a single blade. This goes for American brands such as DeWalt. The only solution is to buy an old machine, such as my Wadkin, which will take a dado set.

I think that we have a far greater degree of health and safety legislation in Europe generally than you guys do; it is a cultural difference - Europeans make laws to make things safer while Americans pay higher insurance premiums!

For myself, I'd rather keep all my fingers than get an insurance payout...

Cheers
Duncan

Last edited:
Thanks Brad, I don't know much about Europe's laws on woodworking nor read any of the forums. I know with euro cabinets they use dowels instead of dados. How do you groove your drawer bottoms?

Doug