Sharpening stones questions

Paul Downes

I need to upgrade to some better sharpening stones for things like plane blades and chisels. I have used diamond stones before and was planning on getting some larger sizes. Something in the neighborhood of 8 inch long.

I might consider natural or man-made stones. What opinions might there be in the family?

I don't know what the current favorite system is, but several years ago I shelled out for some decent planes and chisels. Someone, maybe Enco had a sale on super flat granite surface plates with free shipping. I ordered a 12' x 18"x 2.5" and used it for scary sharp. It worked nicely, but I still wasn't satisfied, so I invested in some Shapton stones and a Lee Valley/Veritas honing guide. Those have produced all the sharp that I can handle. I also experimented with diamond paste on MDF for the final edge....and it seemed to work as advertised. When things get really nicked up I use a Trend solid double sided diamond whetstone (fine/coarse)@ 3"x 8" to get things back on track. Very happy with this set up.

I have a full set of four 3x8 inch diamond stones, from extra coarse (reshaping a blade has fewer mistakes on this stone than on a grinder), through extra extra fine 8000 mesh. The only one I don't often use (don't like) is the finest; I get a better fine edge with a Norton 4000/8000 waterstone, and if I want a really super edge I go to a Japanese 13,000 synthetic waterstone (from Lee Valley, but I don't see it any more - Stu recommended it to me)

With the finer waterstones you don't have to pre-soak as long, the 4000 is ready in a couple minutes, and the 8000 and 13000 are
almost immediate, like the diamond stones.

I initially got the coarse diamond stone to flatten waterstones, but liked it for sharpening.

Most of my chisels and planes use A2 steel and I use Ceramic water stones. I free-hand sharpen and the feel of the stone is very important to me. My stones are Shapton Professionals and I am happy with the feel. There are other ceramic stones out there and much more is available since I bought my Shaptons. I would suggest contacting Stu of Tools From Japan. He is very knowledgeable (some say opinionated) about water stones. My normal sequence is 1000 or 2000 (I would suggest 1000, I just happen to have both and which one I use depends on how much initial work is needed), 5000 & 8000. I then finish stropping with diamond paste on a board.

I also use India stones and an Arkansas Translucent whetstone, but mostly for my molding plane blades. They also work well for O1 or vintage handplane irons or chisels. I would recommend Dan's Whetstone.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered this: DMT W250EF-WB 10-Inch DuoSharp Bench Stone - Extra-Fine / Fine With Base
My main concern was to find something to do accurate fine honing. The surface is huge compared to what I had been using. I did hone a kitchen knife with it and promptly managed to cut a finger. (nothing serious) Am pleased with how quickly the knife got very sharp.

Thanks for the input.

Paul I got the DMT extra fine 3x8 a couple of weeks ago and I am really pleased with it so far. Man that thing cuts steel really fast! I go from it to a leather strop and I get a razor sharp edge that is fine for what I do.