Tile backsplash

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I've decided that I dislike tiling, not as much as I dislike plumbing, but still.

Working down the old honey-do list, (the list is old, not the honey) next item on the list was putting up a tile backsplash in the kitchen. Jan chose a mini subway tile with a charcoal grout. This also pushed me to fix another issue, the outlets and switch near the sink were not on a GFI circuit.

Putting in tile is something I'm not fond of normally, even more so when it requires me twisting and contorting over a countertop and under a row of cabinets. It took more time than expected, surprize, but I got it done. Not too shabby if I say so myself.

There's the before shots
DSC_0031.jpgDSC_0032.jpgDSC_0033.jpgDSC_0034.jpg

And the after...
DSC_0036.jpgDSC_0035.jpgDSC_0037.jpgDSC_0039.jpg

Last edited:
Great job, Rennie! That came out looking very nice. Looks like you had to cut lot of tile to work around everything. Did you pull out the microwave or just place tile up to the edge of it?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm pleased with the outcome, for the most part. Only I know where the problem areas are. :rolleyes:
Nice job, Rennie. Did you do anything special to extend the existing outlets?

I used plastic box extenders available at orange, blue or green.

Great job, Rennie! That came out looking very nice. Looks like you had to cut lot of tile to work around everything. Did you pull out the microwave or just place tile up to the edge of it?

Lots of cutting. All those little bits around the window, under the cabinets and around the outlets. I did not remove the microwave and only tiled behind the stove about 8" or so on each side, basically as far in as you can see. I cheated. :eek::rofl:

I'd agree with that!

Smaller tiles like that are hard to keep lined up to - and they look pretty lined up from where I'm sitting (unlike the one tile in my bathroom that it just slightly out of line which you can see from where you're usually sitting...)

I have a few gaps that are not uniform and I do see them, but they are not obvious to the casual observer. Thank goodness. :D

Looks like a pro job to me. Nice :thumb:

Kind words. Thank you.

Tile looks so good you can come up and finish the floor tile in my bathroom if you wish :) does look good Rennie:thumb:

Did you read the part about me not liking to do tile work? :doh: :D Seriously, I wouldn't mind helping out.:wave:

Very nice work, Rennie! I like the look. :thumb:

Oh...and thanks for reminding me of one of my honey-do items!!! :)

What are friends for?:rofl: