crown moulding question

Bruce Haugen

We are trying to hide problem with the drywall on our ceiling. The house is 18 years old and uses trusses for the ceiling/roof. As you know, these seem to move a lot, and the drywall seams at the junction of wall and ceiling have opened up a bit. One way of fixing that is to replace all the taped seams, but we've been given estimates of $3-4,000 for that job, which includes removing all the texture and redoing the entire ceiling, maybe 600 sq ft.

What we want to do is install crown moulding to make the problem go away. The biggest problem is where the vaulted ceiling meets the level ceiling over the stairway to the basement, as shown in the picture. The moulding along the vaulted ceiling will need to taper or something to meet the moulding along the wall to the left. I can't envision any way to match up those pieces. My question is how to do this. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

DSC_0007.JPG

That is a lot of angles Bruce. Maybe a skirt board coming down below the ceiling below the ceiling of that alcove that is the same height as your crown on the wall to support the end of the crown coming down from the vaulted ceiling.

It's hard to really picture how the rest of the room will look with crown, but just in that picture I'm wondering if more of a flat base or picture moulding may look more uniform rather than crown and still cover the gaps.

Edit: I was thinking something along these lines, but reversed, like a soffit...
BSI063_Photo_05_web.jpg

Last edited:
Here's another option to consider, using a larger decorative block to terminate the crown against that may be big enough to terminate the vaulted crown piece against also.
0156b86fd072963ce20fa239fbacc8d3.jpg

I like Darren's ideas. Another thought would be to run the horizontal crown into and around the alcove with a stop where it hits the light colored wall on the right, then run the sloped crown down to a point where it would visually intersect a vertical line drawn up from the right corner of the alcove. Paint the wall triangle over the alcove the same color as the ceiling. That would leave a small area to cover with a smaller ceiling colored molding.