I'm counting this as a "woodworking" project.

Tom Baugues

Well sort of.....I bought this lawn mower used about 7-8 years ago and it has electric start however the original battery was dead and I simply never thought I needed one since it always started on the first pull. It does pull kind of hard but always starts. I'm still dealing with a shoulder issue since my wreck last spring so I thought I would put a battery in it this year so that I wouldn't have to pull start it. Well, they don't make the original battery size any longer so I bought what was recommended as a replacement but the physical size of the new battery was taller and therefore would not fit in the battery box with the lid attached. I can buy a new battery box but decided to adapt my old box to fit the new battery. I simply cut the old box in half and epoxied a 1" tall piece of 1/8" thick plywood between the two halves. This way I maintained the original mounting to the frame of the mower and the original lid snapped onto the top as it is suppose to. A little spray paint and Ta-Da...a new taller battery box is born. Got home from work tonight and turned the key and VROOM...started right up. No pull starting. Wow...wishing I had done this years ago now. :dunno:IMG_3598 (Medium).jpgIMG_3599 (Medium).jpgIMG_3601 (Medium).jpgIMG_3602 (Medium).jpgIMG_3603 (Medium).jpg

I'm just more impressed that the mower still works, and the unused started kicked off after all these years. Great job!

Nice solution Tom, I've got a pusher with that engine as well, but no electric start, but it still kicks off on the first pull every time, even if I'm on only using it 2 or 3 times a year.

Great solution, Tom! Looks good!!! :thumb:

For my riding mower, I installed a small battery charger. I mainly use it in cold weather when I'm not mowing routinely so the battery stays topped off. It can stay attached long term because of its sensing system. I also installed one for my neighbor.