Fishing story

Rob Keeble

Well i been a little distracted lately, started when i went steelhead fishing a few weeks back.

Anyhow the other day with fine weather and official province wide opening day still some ways off we went to a local river that was open for steelhead.

Well river level was down from our last visit to it and running nice and clear.

Crossing a pedestrian bridge in the park i look over in the river and spot a large steelhead taking up station some 40 ft behind a rock in the river thats diverting the flow,

Well send my new Canadian (and better flyfisherman than me by a factor of 100) down to wade in up river and spey cast a fly and i direct him from the bridge.

Well no dice 3 different flies right in front of its nose and no taking it.

This is what happens when they in spawning mode especially if its a female which is what we both thought when it would lie sideways and flap its tail.

But man it was exciting.

We did not catch anything that morning but it was sure great to have the chance to be at the water with a rod.

Opening day is this weekend coming but i think we going to pass
Nothing fighting for a place on a crowded river.

Anyhow moral of story.....even when you can see them don't mean you going to catch them.[emoji1]

At one point of my life, we lived on a small ranch that had a pond. I spent a lot of hours at the pond, as did several of the neighbor kids, catching bluegills. A big one was about 6 inches long. But also living in the pond were several much larger fish, most likely bass. The local legend was that someone had caught one of the big fish in the past, and it was 18 inches long. From time to time three or four of these large fish would swim across a clear part of the pond, and when that would happen, one of us kids would yell "It's the 18 inchers!", and we'd furiously cast whatever bait we were using that day in front of them. We never even had a nibble. I'm not positive, but I think they were probably laughing at us.

Don't know why, but your story also somehow reminded me of a story that was told to me by my parents...

I had an older brother who passed away at the age of eight, when I was two. I have no recollection of him. Several times throughout my life I heard the story of the time when he was about 5 years old, and my grandparents took him to a trout hatchery. When he got to the exhibition pond where they had the monster trout living, he stood at the edge of the water studying the huge fish for aminute, then turned around, threw his baseball cap onto the ground, stomped his feet, and shouted "Where's my fishin' pole?"

At one point of my life, we lived on a small ranch that had a pond. I spent a lot of hours at the pond, as did several of the neighbor kids, catching bluegills. A big one was about 6 inches long. But also living in the pond were several much larger fish, most likely bass. The local legend was that someone had caught one of the big fish in the past, and it was 18 inches long. From time to time three or four of these large fish would swim across a clear part of the pond, and when that would happen, one of us kids would yell "It's the 18 inchers!", and we'd furiously cast whatever bait we were using that day in front of them. We never even had a nibble. I'm not positive, but I think they were probably laughing at us.

Don't know why, but your story also somehow reminded me of a story that was told to me by my parents...

I had an older brother who passed away at the age of eight, when I was two. I have no recollection of him. Several times throughout my life I heard the story of the time when he was about 5 years old, and my grandparents took him to a trout hatchery. When he got to the exhibition pond where they had the monster trout living, he stood at the edge of the water studying the huge fish for aminute, then turned around, threw his baseball cap onto the ground, stomped his feet, and shouted "Where's my fishin' pole?"

When my dad was still alive and I happened to be in town, sometimes I would go fishing with him. He wouldn't talk to you about fishing from a boat, but knew every stock pond and dammed up creek in three counties around where he lived.... we could sit on the bank side by side, using the same bait out of the minnow bucket, the same bobbers, the same hooks, and cast to within 2 feet of each other's line... he would catch fish and I just watched my bobber float around. Very irritating to go fishing with him, but loved the opportunity every time I could.

And when I was a youngster before I left home, also used to go squirrel hunting with him... he needed someone to carry the axe and any squirrels we caught... if he treed one, he would cut the tree to get to the squirrel.