A Gouge Experiment

Sheffield steel

I have always been under the impression Sheffield is simply a location that produces a lot of steel. The products from there can range from El Junko to high quality. Some of the catalogs that offer inexpensive knives tout many of those cheapos as being "Sheffield steel". Would appreciate definitive info on this issue.

I can't say with any certainty, but I am sure there are different grades of Sheffield steel out there. The Hamlet tools I get are the M2 steel and work well for me. And, I am comfortable in saying the first Hamlet bowl gouge I bought about 6 years ago is the same as the ones I resupplied with 2 months ago. That's my story and I am sticking to it. No amount of pressure or M&M's will get me to change it. :thumb:

I agree that there are different grades (?) of Sheffield steel. I was looking at some a few months back and IIRC Henry Taylor still offers high carbon steel for those who want them. They also make higher grades. I think real Sheffield companies would not put their name on El Junko.
Real Sheffield would be made in the UK but some seller may try to pass off PRC as Sheffield.
Some UK brands would be Sorby, Hamlet, Crown, Henry Taylor, Asley Iles. Packard brand is made by Hamlet; Woodworkers Supply brand is made by Crown.
I have Sorby, Crown, Hamlet, Hurricane, and Thompson.
I only have one Thompson because I already had others but wanted a detail spindle gouge.
I find my Hurricanes to be about the same as my Sorby, Crown, and Hamlet as to edge holding. I do not know where they are made but they are sized by UK specifications.
Another brand I hear high marks for are D-Way, equal to or better than Thompson.
UK made bowl gouges (does NOT apply to UK spindle gouges) are approximately 1/8" large in diameter than US spec.
The following pic shows how UK are measured....not really across the flute. I think they are still trying to mess with us for winning the war.

US vs UK gouge.jpg

Here is one video comparing tool steels.

The D-Way is M42 steel which might be better that 10-VG if you don't have CBN wheels and are using friable Aluminium Oxide as it grinds ~closer~ to M2 (albeit slower).

M42
https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/highspeed/rexm42.html
vs 10-VG
https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/plastics/cpm10vp.html
vs M2 (this is top shelf M2, some chinesium may vary).
https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prodbyapp/highspeed/rexm2sh.html

You'll note that Crucible recommends SG Alumina (which are a bit more special than the regular cheap white wheels - they use a harder ceramic grit that fractures instead of dulling/pulling out) or CBN for the 10VG.

After all said and done, my new 5/8" Hamlet arrived on Wednesday and I am happy to report it is mighty fine. Nice with good weight to it and good steel. Then I discovered a couple of small cracks in my wet grinder's wheel, so had to order a replacement for that. At least it was under warranty. Grizzly was quite helpful on that and got it on the way immediately for me. Good folks to do business with. When you call their tech support, I think you are talking to folks in Missouri. Not sure, but I think so. Suits me fine.

After all said and done, my new 5/8" Hamlet arrived on Wednesday and I am happy to report it is mighty fine. Nice with good weight to it and good steel. Then I discovered a couple of small cracks in my wet grinder's wheel, so had to order a replacement for that. At least it was under warranty. Grizzly was quite helpful on that and got it on the way immediately for me. Good folks to do business with. When you call their tech support, I think you are talking to folks in Missouri. Not sure, but I think so. Suits me fine.

Yes, tech support is great. But do keep your receipt and bring issues to their attention in the first year. One minute past that year and you are on your own.

Interesting thread. I own about 40 turning tools. 6 Doug Thompson, 2 D-way beading tools, a Pinnacle bowl gouge, a 5/8 Lacer skew, a few home made (hollowing tools), and the rest are Henry Taylor. I've never felt the HTs to have lousy edge retention. I certainly agree that Doug Thompson Tools are the best bang for your buck, and hold an edge really well. I love 'em.

I dunno. I have used many brands, and to me the edge life depends on so many factors that a forum thread can only go so far. For instance, when I was working at Woodcraft people would bring in tools ground with certain angles or certain profiles that I would never use. There are always grind angles and profile shapes that each person prefers. So in my mind I think many of these discussions tend to be specific to an individual's grind shape and angle preference. Different company's tools will fair better or worse depending on the variables at play. Not to mention the flute shape, Irish grind vs. other grinds, etc...

Anywho, good to hear the new Hamlet is what you hoped it would be!

- Hutch

Last edited: