milk paint removal and possible wood id help

larry merlau

calling dave and any others:) have a old ice box with most of the milk paint removed but still looks like pickled finish how does one get the rest of it out? and the second question what wood species was used for these doesnt look like oak to me and i need to remake 3 doors for the box so i need to come in close on wood type they want to stain it like a aged pine board amber color..

calling dave and any others:) have a old ice box with most of the milk paint removed but still looks like pickled finish how does one get the rest of it out? and the second question what wood species was used for these doesnt look like oak to me and i need to remake 3 doors for the box so i need to come in close on wood type they want to stain it like a aged pine board amber color..

I'd be interested in some pics of it. My wife's family used to make ice boxes around the northern midwest area, so looking for any that might fit what they made.

Milk paint is like body armour for wood. I made the mistake once, this kind of error you only make once, of putting a piece of pine through my planer that had some milk paint on it. It totally and immediately ruined the knives. Good luck with the ice box - please post pictures.

Milk Paint is a good durable protective finish.

Bet ye didn't know that, eh?

I milk painted a firewood storage box from the Norm Abrams Shaker Furniture book.

It is TOTALLY amazing how well it is holding up after 10-15 years of Oak firewood in and out of the box.

MAN - I - don't want to even think of removing that finish.

ANY - other paint would have been gone LONG ago.

BUT - I bet that icebox is really cool. I love Ice Boxes.

they are various sizes the rails are around 3" wide and the panels are inside that the doors average 14" wide and up to 30 " long

what i have to work with is similar to this one LINK

Last edited:
There's a hardware store in Kidron, OH - Lehman's - that has all the hardware for the old ice boxes. They ain't cheap, but the quality is great.

There's a local farmer friend of mine with a mill and kiln that had some elm about a week ago when I was getting some cherry from him. There's likely somebody a lot closer to you that'll have some, though.

they are various sizes the rails are around 3" wide and the panels are inside that the doors average 14" wide and up to 30 " long

what i have to work with is similar to this one LINK

That wouldn't be a very big package really, but it would take a couple of weeks to get it to you.
I'd say check out Jim's source first, but if it doesn't work out and the time line permits, I can put a package in the mail no problem. Free shipping and you can provide a cold adult beverage at a future date :D

pics of what it looks like,, so you wizer than me folks can say what it is or i can do..

IMG_8163.jpgIMG_8164.jpgIMG_8167.jpgIMG_8168.jpgIMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8165.jpgIMG_8166.jpg the last 2 pics are flat sawn white oak which i thought it was till i saw it in person

Elm. My 2 cents.

So now you have pigment that is resistant to solvents in all the open pores of the grain. Will be watching with interest.

Hi Larry,

It doesn't appear to be elm. Like you observed, it also doesn't seem to be white oak.

A number of years ago I ran into some difficulty identifying the species of trim used in my friend's historical home. After spending years as an employee at a Woodcraft store I eventually saw some chestnut and realized "That's it!". I can't be certain, but it may be chestnut. Is it relatively light weight or dense/heavy?

Regards,
- Hutch

hutch, i was told by another that it might be chestnut, it is lighter than white oak.. so back to my delemia at hand, what do yu folks think i can use to fake it?