Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shop Improvement Movement - *IT'S OFFICIALLY ON!*

I'm in.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

My project is making permanent boxes for some of the hand tools I don't want to get rid of. Closing down and selling of most of my shop soon as the house will be on the market within the next month or two.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Niemi View Post
    I'm going to do my best to adhere to the schedule, motivation is always a good thing. Have planed a plane till / tool storage for a while now and it should go something like this

Attachment 99084
    Get motivated Tom....I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I don't have very many hand planes but the ones I do have need a storage solution. I don't have the time to join in on this build but look forward to seeing this and all the other projects that result from this build.
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Well, after hemming and hawing about what to tackle I've finally decided to commit.

I will be making a miter saw station with a focus on 95%+ dust collection. I have a few specific ideas in mind, but I have a feeling that there will be a lot of on-the-fly engineering involved.

I haven't made a station to date because I try to use my SCMS as little as possible. But let's face it, they are pretty slick and handy, so I figure it's about time I make mine a bit slicker and handier

Anywho, a fun build it will be!

- Hutch

Since others have committed to their projects, I guess it is my turn. I purchased last year a performaxe power sander from Jim Delaney and it has sat on top of the workbench. Last month I bought an oscillating spindle sander and it is sitting on top of the bench beside the DeWalt planer that has never had a permanent home. So, I have a corner of the shop that is available and I have decided to become mobile so some wheeled workstations with dedicated equipment on top is in order. The older my back gets the less I prefer to lift heavy things up onto the bench. Now to some of you this may sound like a weekend project. Let me explain, these are the three main things on top of the bench. In order to get to the bench, a lot of sorting and work needs to be done! This is my practice for drawers for Lou's kitchen and doors for the bathroom project that I have stalled long enough. Thus Hutch's "Shop Improvement Movement" was/is a timely kick in my pants to get my shop in order. Thanks Hutch.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

"Hi, I'm Darren and I'm a procrastinator."

I haven't seen my shop in a week, but did see my planes sitting on the table right where I left them a while back for my project when I was there last, which reminded me to get busy on it.

Bump!
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    "Hi, I'm Darren and I'm a procrastinator."

Ooops! Haven't started mine either.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Made a little progress on mine yesterday. Goofed up, so no pictures until that is fixed. I can make mistakes but darned if I am gonna take pictures of them!
    ++++++

Some say the land of milk and honey; others say the land of fruits and nuts. All together my sort of heaven.

Power is not taken. It is given. Who have you given yours to? Hmmmm?

Carol Reed

I didn't sign up for this and I said I didn't have time for it, but I am further along on a small cabinet for my machine upgrade than most of the other projects.

Perhaps I will post that and show you all up

OK, I will jump in here.

Woodworking at it's core. Hmmmm, OK?
    If you are getting to know me, you should realize that I am into woodworking - BUT - with more added in. I think most of us are.

My project has involved cutting a little steel, and some aluminum. It is with the intention of creating an environment where I can do woodworking on my CNC machine.

As a part of upgrading my CNC machine I NEED a little cabinet built into the base. THAT, is somewhat conventional. somewhat I say. I will also be doing some painting and a little more steel working, but the cabinet is mostly wood.

Truly, I am not much interested in building shop cabinets or shop tools, but I do build what I need to have.

I have several objectives for this cabinet

1) Make it a sealed cabinet, mostly for the water tank - to keep even the fine dust out.
    2) Make the entire cabinet easily removable - in the event I need the vertical clamping space
    3) Functional and WELL organized with Kaizen foam drawer inserts
    4) Good drawers do NOT need to be dovetailed
    5) It needs to "show off" the CNC machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1- cabinet.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	99170
    This is the area that the cabinet will fit into

Name:	1b- cabinet.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	99171
    I will do some really nice painting of the white machine base, and some really nice staining of the Oak inserts and drawers

Name:	1c- cabinet.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	99172
    I used the machine to cut out the cabinet facing and drawer openings. Backside is rabited.

Name:	1d- cabinet.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	99173
    Cross pieces

Name:	1e- cabinet.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	99174
    Cabinet sides and drawer supports
    Borg Soft Close slides - nothing fancy - functional - a little "show off"

Name:	1f- cabinet.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	99175
    WAY - WAY - WAY overkill here, but fun to make.
    I had a sassy smirk on my face making this.
    It is a cross member that will span the metal frame of the machine to support the back of the cabinet. It is easily removable. It is a GLUELAM. My design, my build. It is 4 layers of 3/4 sanded ply from Lowes, carefully CNC cutout. I sanded and carefully glued and clamped with my wooden parallel cabinet clamps. There are no voids. I gave is 3 coats of poly.