retro countertop video game cabinet

allen levine

my son wants to make this, so he downloaded the plans, picked up some mdf today, and we got to work.
We went as far as we could, unfortunately, I did not have a 1 and 1/8 forstner bit to continue with the holes for the controllers.
I had a one inch and a one and 3/8 for some holes, but we decided hed order the bit online since HD didn't have it either, and he will drill holes at home.
He is responsible for monitor and all controllers and all the wiring.
It will be T molding as that adds to the retro look.(he purchased a t molding bit also)

I finished first coat of paint on chairs yesterday, and secondary glueups of flag cutting boards. moving along nicely on all projects.

Attachments

• countertopretrovideocab 006 (Small).JPG
    countertopretrovideocab 006 (Small).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 49
  • countertopretrovideocab 005 (Small).JPG
    countertopretrovideocab 005 (Small).JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 50
  • countertopretrovideocab 004 (Small).JPG
    countertopretrovideocab 004 (Small).JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 52
  • countertopretrovideocab 002 (Small).JPG
    countertopretrovideocab 002 (Small).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 48
Nice, you've been busy. I've been looking to build a cocktail table type arcade using a barrel, like this...

vasazydy.jpg

I have the arcade button kit, but not found a barrel yet (for a reasonable price).

Like most of your projects it's all coming together faster and looking better than anything I could hope for! Chairs look pretty nice as well, that's a good color for them.

my son is way too busy to complete this anytime soon, 3 jobs, a house to maintain, a wedding to plan, but Ill keep updating pics as he moves along with the electronics.

I put final coat on chairs today, and final glueup of flag boards.
Sapele didn't look as red as it always did for me in the past, a reason I don't use it often.
Im going to try to use 1/2 maple dowels for stars, if it doesn't work out, Ill sand boards down enough. They are 1 and 5/8th thick now
boards need to be jointed on top, as I left top stripe larger, trimmed to size, then sanded down on drum sander.

Attachments

• flagboards 003 (Small).JPG
    flagboards 003 (Small).JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 20
  • flagboards 001 (Small).JPG
    flagboards 001 (Small).JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 19
Wow Allen you and your son sure get to put together some cool projects. Pacman was about the only video game i can say i really liked.
Just totally curious what store / chain did you find the t strip at?
Is the router bit that you used for the slot simply a slot cutter or is it especially profiled to match the t strip?
The whole setup looks pro.

he ordered the graphics, Im guessing you pick a design and they print what you want on it.
Im going to see the unit this sunday at a bbq, so Ill play it and see if it feels like the original games way back when.

he ordered the graphics, Im guessing you pick a design and they print what you want on it.
Im going to see the unit this sunday at a bbq, so Ill play it and see if it feels like the original games way back when.