Kitchen floor update

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I started pulling up the old laminate floor from our kitchen/dining room/entry way areas. All of it came up pretty easy, but still a lot of bending and kneeling that my knees are not used to doing much of these days. I got about half of the entry way and the dinning room area finished yesterday. After doing lawn work today I got back to it and moved the fridge and puled out most of the kitchen floor. I laid floor up to the stove tonight, will pull it out this week and get the rest done.
2017-04-22 20.52.55.jpg 2017-04-22 20.53.33.jpgv2017-04-23 20.28.57.jpg 2017-04-23 20.28.40.jpg 2017-04-22 20.53.24.jpg

The entry way has some tile put down on the sub-floor. I think they used thin set at least. I had a small section behind our fridge that used to be part of the entry way we built a wall over and it popped right out with my 22 oz persuader, so hopefully I'll have the same luck in there too.
2017-04-23 20.28.32.jpg 2017-04-22 20.54.24.jpg

One thing I've noticed is that with the new 12mm thick floor, the squeaks I couldn't get to go away by screwing down the sub-floor have mostly gone away since it seems to spread out the weight on it better. Now I'm off to start my IV of ibuprophen so I'll be able to actually move tomorrow. :doh: :)

Wow where can you get IV ibuprofen, that would be like hotcakes at our house ;)

Looking really sharp, I'll be interested to see what you do at the transitions, was never really happy with the ones I have...

Your new flooring is looking good, Darren!

I know what you mean about working on the floor! I added some storage drawers under part of one of the benches in my shop last year. No problem getting down there to work. Getting back up took a lot of planning, though!!!

On the aches and pains, have you tried Blue Emu? I had seen the ads for a long time, then bought a container to try. It works! My wife says it relieves pain better than anything else in her back when she overdoes it, and in her right ankle where she broke some bones a few years ago.

Sweet looking floor Darren. Nice job.

Fully appreciate your aches and pains. In the past few months I laid 100 sf of engineered wood in a bedroom and 250 sf in our living room (last week) and 650 sf of laminate in my shop. True, getting down is the easy part, getting up not so much. But its the constant up and down to get more flooring or cit end pieces that really does me in.

Thanks Guys, really happy with the results so far

Looking really sharp, I'll be interested to see what you do at the transitions, was never really happy with the ones I have...
Only ones I'll have are butting up to the doors and a bull nose at the stairs. I'll see what the borg has on hand for the bull nose, but may end up milling out my own to match the ones on my stairs I made.

On the aches and pains, have you tried Blue Emu? I had seen the ads for a long time, then bought a container to try. It works! My wife says it relieves pain better than anything else in her back when she overdoes it, and in her right ankle where she broke some bones a few years ago.

I used some biofreeze (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ECFNQS?psc=1) this morning, was walking normal for about 20 minutes, then it wore off on the drive in to work. I'll have to order some of the Blue Emu to try out.

...I used some biofreeze this morning, was walking normal for about 20 minutes, then it wore off on the drive in to work. I'll have to order some of the Blue Emu to try out.

Talk to your doctor about Voltarin cream. It's like 'Ibuprofen lotion. Lasts me about half a day per application. Mine was prescribed for RA in my hands.

The floor is looking great!

Looks like you're in good company here when it comes to aches and pains. I'm to the point now where I kind of appreciate getting a new ache...it takes my mind off all the old ones, lol.

So nice floor you putting down , sorry for your pains, but......is it only me or what was wrong with the old floor.?

Is the Queen coming to visit? Lol Thats what my mom would think.

So nice floor you putting down , sorry for your pains, but......is it only me or what was wrong with the old floor.?

Is the Queen coming to visit? Lol Thats what my mom would think.

Ha, no, the Queen I live with was ready for some updates.She said 1985 called an wanted it's floor back. ;)

Actually the new floor is much better quality and I'm liking the contrast of with the color of the cabinets. Next up is counter tops, sink, and a new back splash. I may try to wire in some under cabinet lighting when I do the back splash too.

Well, felt well enough to jump back in tonight. Got the stove pulled out and disconnected (gas line) and another box and a half of flooring down to fill its space as well as the refrigerators. Got the sides of the stove and cabinets cleaned up and things back in their places.
2017-04-25 22.29.27.jpg 2017-04-25 22.29.43.jpg 2017-04-25 22.29.49.jpg

I've got about another box and a half to go in here. Friday I have off to get Google fiber installed, but after they leave I'll be busting out the tile in the entry and trying to get the rest of it done. That part should take about 4 more boxes, which leaves me with enough to finish up some closets I held off doing in the basement, fearing I might not have bought enough initially.

I got all but the last strip installed in the kitchen last night. I need to pull out the dishwasher and pull up some plywood that it's currently setting on to shim it to the right height. Entry way will be started tomorrow afternoon after google is done.

2017-04-26 21.01.06.jpg 2017-04-26 21.01.14.jpg 2017-04-26 21.01.24.jpg

Thanks! :wave:

Lovely color. What is it?

It's a laminate with a hand hewn hickory look. The color I used to match my stair treads to it was minwax's Early American. I don't recall the brand, we bought it a little over 3 years ago and have had this stored in the garage since finishing the basement with it. I'll take a look at the label tonight though.

Is the ibuprofren on a drip feed right now? Or do you just take it by the handful?

I've got a few sore spots, but haven't taken any today. My wife told me to take a few days off, but I refused and kept going (slowly) and seems to have worked itself out. Besides, I knew if I stopped I'd probably not have gotten back to this for a few weeks to avoid the pain again. ;)

Today's project was removing the tile in the entryway, which was put directly on the sub-floor. Luckily they did use thin set, which with some persuasion, did pop loose for the most part. I still have some small areas that will take some additional work to clean up.
2017-05-21 20.32.28.jpg

I found I have some leaks around my side-light, which got caulked up tonight.
2017-05-21 20.32.40.jpg

Still need to clean out the coat closet also and remove the carpet/tack strip in there, plug the floor vent hole, then will finish up the new flooring.

Keep the multi tool handy. :) Yesterday i used mine to modify a plastic dustbin. Its a real good odd job get into places and do something kind of tool. My problem becomes remembering i have one for those kinds of finicky jobs.

Keep the multi tool handy. :) Yesterday i used mine to modify a plastic dustbin. Its a real good odd job get into places and do something kind of tool. My problem becomes remembering i have one for those kinds of finicky jobs.
Yup, been using mine for under cutting door trim and jamb. I just use a scrap piece of flooring as my gauge.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Got the entry way done tonight. Found a lot of missing shoes buried in the coat closet too.
2017-05-25 22.45.44.jpg

Still need to pull out the dishwasher and finish a strip along the front of the kitchen, then re-install all of the quarter round, and put some bull nose trim at the top of the stairs.