Chip Collector

Roger Tulk

This is the prototype, which i installed last fall. The winter damp caused it to collapse on one side, but you can see how well it collects chips, both by the amount of chips in the bin, and the paucity of chips on the ground. I think I'll make a more lasting model out of thin plywood this spring. Hope you approve! :p

Chip Collector.jpg

Let the chips fall where they may.

I like your collector box, makes it much easier to haul out to the burnpile.... Mine just fall between the wall and the lathe, then I spend half a day scooping them into a tub and lugging them down to the burn pit... beginning to think it's about time again....
0425171224a.jpg
0425171224.jpg
0425171224b.jpg

I've been threatening for a year now to build a removable wall between the door and the lathe so I can open the second door in my shop for ventilation and not have all the chips fall out on the steps... gonna get around to it one of these days (in my best Pa Kettle voice)

Hmmm....

Now, if the bottom of that box slopped from each end to the middle, and there was a 4" hole in the middle of the bottom, and there was a dust collector hose attached to that hole....

Chips to the burn pile??? Never!!! I bag them up and friends, family and myself use them for mulch in the gardens. Work very well. But, don't use hackberry. Those go to the burn pile. I sweep and suck them up in a big shop vac and then bag them. Chips and shavings and dust on the deck can make for hazardous footing. I think some turners even sell the chips. A byproduct that can make some pocket money. Why not?

Chips to the burn pile??? Never!!! I bag them up and friends, family and myself use them for mulch in the gardens. Work very well. But, don't use hackberry. Those go to the burn pile. I sweep and suck them up in a big shop vac and then bag them. Chips and shavings and dust on the deck can make for hazardous footing. I think some turners even sell the chips. A byproduct that can make some pocket money. Why not?

I've run out of friends that will take chips, plus my closest friend is also a wood turner so he makes his own mulch... this pile is about half walnut which I'm told is bad for mulch anyway and not good for horses in their stalls... I used to put them down between rows in the garden, but don't do much gardening now.... nothing else to do with them. It's been pretty wet here so far, so really can't start a fire until the weather lets up and I have to have a forestry burn permit since I live in a national forest.

OK. Just a thought. It's possible on the walnut as it does have stain properties. Which is why people don't like to park vehicles under walnut or black walnut trees. My sister takes about 10 33 gallon bags of shavings from me about every 10 days for mulching. I think she shares some of them with neighbors, not sure. All I know is she takes all I have unless I need them. I till them directly into the dirt and they give decent water retention.