Bow saw question

Rob Keeble

Would you glue the tenon joints on a bow saw?

I always thought and made mine such that the joint was snug fit and free to move as tension is applied.

Whats your understanding of the correct way.?

https://youtu.be/XwphYP9M4cw

Behind this question is the issue of what is correct?

Seems to me anybody with a camera these days can redefine the world.

I am open to change and innovation, so I am not caught up in the aspect of this "right" and "this is wrong" ,neither am i a safety nut, but somewhere along these lines, 1+ 1 has to equal 2.

But, if you create a video, and 41 000 people watch it, and bunch question what you have done, and 1000 think its cool, and 24 don't, does the mob prevail as the correct solution?

It seems to me with human beings anything goes as long as it suites the desired outcome.???

Heck maybe 1+1 can equal 3 ......wait why not 5 if i say it is?

Hmmm i think i need to go have a chat with my bank manager about his adding. Lol

Last edited:
The 'right' way is whatever works for you. Logically you would think that gluing the tenons would interfere with the physics of blade tensioning. If you tasked an industrial design class to build a hand tool that performed the tasks of a bow saw, would they come up with a pivoting design? Would it be made of wood, metal, carbon fiber? How about a fixed center member with pre-tensioned carbon fiber bows and a rip blade on one side and cross cut blade on the other? Would be an interesting project.