Laser machine transport - China to my Home

Leo Voisine

Well the Laser machine is finished and paid for. It was put on a truck and sent to Qingdao Port in China.

I just got a message that it will be boarding the Cargo Ship and enroute to the USA within the next day or two. I got the ISF information and forwarded it to my broker to get the customs documentation underway. That needs to be done before the machine leaves China.

I will document the journey, for any that are interested in this stuff.

:lurk: :woohoo:

I called on mine and they were not interested in providing the additional tracking info for China to US but assure me it is en route. They ship to a California warehouse and then to me. They have said all along that they will provide tracking info once it is shipped from California on its way to me..... I guess I'll just wait for that.... :bang:

The ship can be tracked free as long as it is within range of GPS land based communications. As soon as it is out to sea however it is no longer free. I actually paid a fee to track the ship via satellite signals. I'm paying $5k for a $15k machine. I few dollars to track shipping and keep me from getting anxious and wondering where it is is worth it to me.

So far it has traveled about 1400 miles, visited a couple of east China container ports, one container port in South Korea and is not east of North Korea and West of Japan in the Sea of Japan. It will pass between some north Japan islands and be in the Pacific headed to the south of the Aleutian Islands in the next day or two.

I will post a tracking picture later tonight.

Here is the first leg of the journey

Korea to the left - Japan to the right

I figure tonight or early morning the ship will pass through a passageway between a couple of northern islands of Japan.

Last recorded course and speed - 22.2 kn/hr @ 55 degrees

Laser journey-1.jpg

The laser is the red line with sun markers.

The green line is from my CNC Router in 2015

Amazing speed 25.7 kn/hr. That is incredibly FAST for the size.

Don't forget that is metric. 16.1 mph, or in the more usual nautical measure 13.9 knots, typical "slow steaming" speed for fuel economy. An aircraft carrier has to go over 30 knots to support aircraft operations, but they don't worry about fuel economy. Cruise ships typically run 20+ knots. I had fun researching these comparison numbers to harass you.

Last edited:
So Ed was the Bras d'Orr another Avro Arrow for Canada except on sea. I would think it would be a worthwhile craft to have for rapid response for coastal patrol given our sea border.

No relation to the (Orr) hockey player ;) . Pronounced "bradoor".

I don't think it was another Arrow, although it was contracted to DeHavilland Aircraft. As a 'flying' boat it was probably an interesting experiment. Note that it took 3 times as much fuel to keep it's hull out of the water than regular cruising. I seem to recall they also had problems with the foils ...

... which brings back memories of my Dad returning from NS, I think working on cracked foils, I was ~13/14/15. They were having problems taking things apart due to corrosion. Some local tech came along poured Coca-Cola on the assembly and said "Come back tommorow". That done it and I'm still loath to drink the stuff.