http://www.kylesconverter.com/speed-or-velocity/knots-to-miles-per-hour

One nautical mile is equal to 6,076 feet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nautical_mile

One land mile is 5280 feet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile

One kn - or knot - or kn/hr is equal to 1.150779 MPH
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed

Just to KNOT be under harassment

For a ship of that size that is screaming fast.

I remember the cruise ship we were on was moving at about 25 kn/hr - FAST

Knot to give up easily, I bet anything it is kilometers per hour, not knots (which is already nautical miles per hour) so it would never be knots per hour. The 25.7 km per hour is right in the range of normal container ships, which is why I took the challenge!

May the force be with you and your machine!

Whoeee - I would love to take a good cup of coffee away from you.

I have yet to here any speed in the nautical world measured in terms of Kilometers per hour.

I added the /hr on the kn so that may be the confusion.

My last trip across the ocean in 2015 with a similar ship was at a max speed of 20 kn as listed on the online cargo ship tracking. I call that Knots per hour.

I like my coffee with cream and no sugar.

I drink my coffee black and strong but will probably have to just buy it myself haha.

Wow the tangents we can get onto.... Here's an interesting link to a graph about container ship size and fuel consumption:
https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/ch8en/conc8en/fuel_consumption_containerships.html

Either way, if yours doesn't slow down you're going to be lasering before me. :rofl: Mine should return to California by the 25th and maybe headed toward Oklahoma the 26th or 29th according to my Skype with my Chinese gal last night.

Uhm, mine's due in California tomorrow or Thursday and should be beginning a trek toward Oklahoma on Friday so they'll be closer to each other than we are for a bit! :rofl:

Getting closer, getting excited for you and for me! :D

Sure is getting closer.

It's out in the Atlantic off the coast of Deleware and about 300 miles south of my place - as the crow flies.

It will be in New York tomorrow.

There is needs to clear customs and then get trucked to a location south of Boston.

I will rent a Penske dock height truck and a fork lift. I will pick it up and unload it at my house. This MIGHT happen on June 17-th, maybe, "Lord willin and the creek don't rise".

June 5 laser location.jpg

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: Hurry up, they're SO much fun! If it cools off a little later I may go play with some wood now that I can switch back to rotary easily on mine.

I'm burning powder coat with mine every day! My rotary didn't have a plug in or any way to easily switch to it so I ordered and installed an aviation 4-pin plug and a 4PDT switch so now it's a piece of cake to switch over. No doubt a better, more expensive machine would have had that ready to go.... lol

I'm sending you a private message as I have a friend ordering a machine that will come into port at Nashville near his home but he has no idea how to get it through customs or pick it up so looking for a little insight. :)

Finally - it's home

a laser home-3.jpg

I rented a 15' U-haul with a ramp and spent 4 hours in a Torrential Rain on a Friday rush hour in that U-Haul going to a busy section of Boston to pick up the package. Luckily the rain didn't start until after the package was in the truck. But MAN did the rain impact traffic. It was over 2 hours to get home. Normally about 50 minutes. I backed the truck up to an inch away from the shop, so we could work and stay dry. Notice the daylight.

a laser home-4.jpg

After several attempts to make rickity wheel setups we decided to upcrate in the truck and slide it down the ramp. Notice the darkness.

a laser home-1.jpg

After rearranging the shop AGAIN, and making a HUGE mess - again.
Next morning - I was cleaning the shop.
The machine is in it's home resting place.
I really like the location it's in.
It fits in the shop nicely.

a laser home-2.jpg

Operating area is 24 x 36 and 100w laser tube.
I bought an extra tube.

I cannot dedicate time to this yet, but I will be getting to it.

I really NEED to finish my CNC machine upgrade, otherwise that will get put on back burner. I cannot do that.

I will not be as fast as Robert for several reasons. but I will get there.

For me - this is new technology. There will be SOME overlap with technologies I already know, but this is as new to me as anything I have run across in a very long time.

I don't even know to hook stuff up of start this machine ---- YET.

:woot::woohoo::lurk:

Awesome!! Glad she's home! Enjoy the setup and learning, it is really a lot of fun! Better to take your time and know what you're doing!!

The first thing I did was bypass the safety switch on the lid..... like the very first thing. :D

Looks like an awesome machine! Congrats!!!!!

I have a list of ideas.

Yesterday I looked at what I need to do to get power to the machine.

Basically I just need to plug it in.

I went to home Depot and to Lowes - they don't have such a receptical as what I need. I ordered it on McMaster, along with some colored and some clear acrylic. Should be here in a few days.

My first tries will be on some older thin plywood I have hangin around

I bought my laser cutter a year ago. I got it so I could make some wood gear clocks. I just ordered a set of plans for a Topsy 3 street organ. I am going to make most of the parts on the laser.27480464-BA37-459D-8233-EE3E83471D51.jpg