Not Sure if I will Ever Be Right Again

Dave Hoskins

When I was buying pepper plants a while back for the garden, I saw one I had never seen or heard of. The Ghost Pepper. OK. What the heck? So, I planted two of them. Didn't inquire about them, nothing. Ate one yesterday. Or should I say i tried to eat one yesterday. OMG!!! One hundred percent total fire! Mouth felt like a Marine artillery unit was firing phosphorous rounds off in my mouth. Made me want to cry but I refused. Ate bread. Ate more bread. And, all things in between. The dogs thought I had lost my mind. Anyway, I think I am almost back to normal. Looked the things up and found out they actually are an Indian (India type) chili. No wonder. AWK!!! So, unless you are inhuman I recommend staying away from them thar things. I'm pulling the plants up today.

That'll larn ya! While I could stand some heat when I was younger, I never had the taste or desire for the insanely hot stuff. I don't harshly judge folks who enjoy such things but I just don't get it.

Yeah, I guess not doing a little research on the darn things came back and bit me. Whew! Oh, well. I can't handle that kind of heat for sure. In fact I don't purposely raise any hot peppers at all. Made the mistake with these, and ignorance sure isn't an excuse. But, after some thought I think I'll keep them going and wish them on someone else.

Bwahahahahaahaha!

I've got some Carolina Reapers going in greenhouse. The plants are looking great.

Made some chili over the weekend. Big pot full. I put in one dried ghost pepper and several dried anaheims (ground up). Really leaves a nice glow in your mouth.

I love that hot stuff, but some of those peppers, well, a little goes a very long way!

I'm sure you'll be able to find someone to take the extra peppers off your hands.

Best thing to cool down the heat would be Ice cream. The capsaicin (the hot stuff) is fat soluble, so Ice cream or whole milk is your best bet in taming the heat.

Another hard lesson learned is that peppers are not of an even spiciness from one end to the other (possibly also due to the white bits inside being much hotter).

I had a mystery pepper in the garden (this is many years ago but the memory is strong) that I "tested" by taking a wee bit off of the end. Not to bad! So I moved up a little hotter (I mean higher) on the pepper towards the stem and everything did a slow fade to black.. the pain set in, I cried, it got worse... and that was when I was used to eating pretty hot stuff..

Used to love the hot chili. Not any longer. Maybe it's a burn out. Yup those India peppers are at the top of the fire list. Good flavoring if you can get a small enough piece.
David

Well, all I know for sure is I ain't gonna eat on another one. Those who can handle the heat, more power to you. I used to be able to but some of my innards got altered after major surgery for gunshot repair. After that things changed a fair amount on what I can eat. But, I must say chewing on the 5th hottest pepper known to the world is an act of some insanity. :D But, I used to be in the category of being fairly nuts so I really can't say anything. For those who can do it, enjoy! Ice cream is a good idea, but that loaf of bread sitting on the counter was the first thing I go to. I was somewhat in a hurry for relief!

As soon as I saw Ghost Pepper, I knew the rest of the story.

I like spicy - but on the low end of the scale. Jalepeno and down from there, and I would never eat it straight up.

I watch the contests and there is a woman that is on the winning side (she eats that stuff) They always have a huge glass of milk for those that are bowing out.

Not for me.

There is a fellow at my local farmer's market that uses the ghost peppers to make a pepper sauce... he renders the peppers down to a clear liquid, bottles them in little bitty bottles 'cause you only use one or two drops at a time...

Not sure right now the terminology for the hotness scale, but read somewhere about the numbers... jalapinos are a 100 and ghost peppers are either 1,000 or 10,000 don't remember exactly....

My wife works in a chile shop where they sell pretty much everything (including pure capsaicin oil). I read your Dave's story and she started a combination laugh/cringe when I got to the words "ghost pepper". I'm definitely not a fire eater...I prefer Hatch green, which is real mild in comparison.

Howard mentioned the Scoville Scale. Jalapenos run in the 3,500 – 10,000 range on the scale. Ghost peppers are more in the 855,000 – 2,200,000 range. :eek:

So, Here's the description of the Carolina Reapers that I've got growing in the greenhouse right now.

Bred in a Rock Hill, South Carolina greenhouse by "Smokin" Ed Currie, proprietor of the PuckerButt Pepper Company in Fort Mill, the Carolina Reaper has been certified as the world's hottest chili pepper by Guinness World Records since August 7, 2013.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP] The original crossbreed was between a Ghost pepper (a former world record holder) and a red habanero and is named 'Reaper' due to the shape of its tail.[SUP][6][/SUP][SUP][7][/SUP] The official Guinness World Record heat level is 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), according to tests conducted by Winthrop University in South Carolina. The figure is an average for the tested batch; the hottest individual pepper was measured at 2.2 million SHU.[SUP][4][/SUP][SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP]