Chess set

The back story....Lucas made the chess pieces in his machining class at school this year. One set is brass the other is aluminum.

Every year in the fall they have a CTE (career and technical education) contest at the regional fair. They have several categories represented and the kids can go and check out the entries and spend the day at the fair.

Luke asked several weeks ago if we could build a chess board to go with the pieces so he could enter them in the CTE contest next fall. Of course I said sure! Well we got started! Here it is in the rough, I was really just curious what it was going to look like. I'm thinking the Michigan walnut will put it over the top!

chess board.jpg

Will do Allen. I don't know if he'll have an opportunity though. School lets out here in a week and a half.

He'll be a junior next year and is going to try and go to TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology) which is a fancy name for a technical school next year and take machining 1/2 a day. If he does he'll get most of the program in before he graduates.

Well done all around! :thumb: I think it's great that your son has an interest in (and talent for) something like machining. I have a nephew who learned old-school machining back when it was going out of style, and he's made a nice living ever since. He's equally comfortable with a lathe or milling machine, as well as CNC.

Thanks Vaughn

The high school he's at is the only one in the county with a machine shop program. It is old school with all manual machines. I figured he could learn the basics and have an understanding of manual machining and that couldn't do anything but help. He's also learned a ton of welding in the past two years MIG, TIG, and stick. I've toured the tech school and he'll pick up on the computerized side there.