Triton vs CMT routers

Hi guys.

Can anyone tell me why Triton routers and CMT routers look exactly the same and maybe they are but CMT cost twice as much as Triton ones, at least here in Spain? (see pics below)
Has any of you one of them? Are you satisfyied?
Any info will be appreciated

Thanks a lot.
cmt.jpgfresadora-electronica-portatil-triton-modelo-tra001-de-2400-w.jpg

I have an older one (MOF001) dedicated to my FMT, and like t a lot. It does have some quirks, like a cover on the switch that has to be opened to turn it on but it's a fairly well made router. It also has an uncommon plunge adjustment knob feature. If this was my only router it probably wouldn't be my first choice because of those features, but as a plunge router I guess I consider it as good as any. Certainly for the use I have it has worked out very well. One problem I've had is that odd sized collets don't seem to be available, I'd like to have a 3/8" one. I have that size in Freud (actually it's a Dewalt collet), Milwaukee, and PC...but can't find it for the Triton.

Last edited:
Portercable has been the industry standard for decades....

But to your question..............I wouldn't have any idea, I've never even looked at either.

Hi Tod so glad to see you back posting. Welcome back. Looks like Larry did some arm twisting on that trip down south this year.
Hope u going to post some of your work again. Sorry for the hijack Toni.👍

This may help:
http://www.routerforums.com/portable-routing/39396-triton-routers.html

The short answer is Triton has Taiwanese roots and CMT has Italian roots. But it is the same router.
THat's what I thought Carol, the only difference is the sticker, that makes me to decide not to buy any of them.

Portercable has been the industry standard for decades....

But to your question..............I wouldn't have any idea, I've never even looked at either.
HI Tod, good to see you back, Porter cable is one my best choices, however they don't sell it here, and US ones are 125V.

I have an older one (MOF001) dedicated to my FMT, and like t a lot. It does have some quirks, like a cover on the switch that has to be opened to turn it on but it's a fairly well made router. It also has an uncommon plunge adjustment knob feature. If this was my only router it probably wouldn't be my first choice because of those features, but as a plunge router I guess I consider it as good as any. Certainly for the use I have it has worked out very well. One problem I've had is that odd sized collets don't seem to be available, I'd like to have a 3/8" one. I have that size in Freud (actually it's a Dewalt collet), Milwaukee, and PC...but can't find it for the Triton.

THanks Fred, I've doing some research and I have found a lot of bad reviews and also some good ones (not sponsored) so this tells me that I should not rush. BAsically I am looking for a router to have it dedicated to a router table.

Hi Tod so glad to see you back posting. Welcome back. Looks like Larry did some arm twisting on that trip down south this year.
Hope u going to post some of your work again. Sorry for the hijack Toni.👍

No problem Rob, I miss ww a lot, I have been out of it since october last year and still out. My right elbow is killling me since. I cannot lift 1 litter bottle to pour me a glass of water or pull up a plate from the dishwasher without pain not to talk about any gripping+twisting movement wich are absolutely out of my reach now.

Hi guys.

Can anyone tell me why Triton routers and CMT routers look exactly the same and maybe they are but CMT cost twice as much as Triton ones, at least here in Spain? (see pics below)
Has any of you one of them? Are you satisfyied?
Any info will be appreciated

Thanks a lot.
View attachment 99122View attachment 99123
CMT are heaven for woodworking enthusiasts as they can craft all kinds of tools used in woodworking. It should also be mentioned that they make use of the latest technologies to craft all of their tools. Just like what comes out of a slab of wood depends upon the effort put in by the worker, the quality of the tools also depends upon the makers.
They make a range of products such as circular saws, rip saws and other such kinds of saw blades. They also manufacture bits that can be paired with CNC routers and run at very high speeds to garner desired results.

The reason behind its high pricing is that:-
1. The steel that is used to craft router bits is made fatigue-proof. The steel is cast in such a way that all the fibers are aligned in one direction giving way to a singular, strong and resilient bar.
2. All CMT bits are crafted on a CNC lathe. This ensures that all the bits that they produce are perfectly shaped with meticulous dimensions for the most finished look.
3. Micrograin carbide produced at Luxembourg is used to craft the carbide tips of the various tools that are manufactured at CMT.
4. Once the bits are turned and brazed properly, they are layered in a P.T.F.E. coating which allows these bits to last longer and function better!

above points make CMT different from Triton. You can read that article to get more info about CMT routers bits.

Hope i help you in anyway.