PTFE BBQ mat

Rob Keeble

Anyone here used one or done any research into these things??

My mother in law sent one back with Linda as a gift for me.

Supposedly a mat to place over the bbq (braai in SA) and cook eggs or the likes on.

Basically a large rectangular sheet of thin ptfe plastic.

https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Chef-Caron-Designed-Professional/dp/B00KEDGQ9C

I am totally skeptical do its staying where it is for now until i get a first hand opinion from someone i trust.

Call me slow to change but...plastic on bbq ?????

Sorry, I don't have any experience or need for one. Now, I love my silicone mats for baking but one of my two cast iron griddles is reserved for use on the grill. That mat is limited to 500°F (260°C). My griddle isn't. I'm curious about, though. I may not need it but I'd try it.

I actually have 2, I bought one to try and liked it so well I bought a spare. I use it for sausage, eggs, and such things and it works very well. Washing it off is less easy than I would like, but it's still not as bad as our silicone pie crust "rolling" thingy. I did try cooking meat on it and wasn't happy at all with the way it turned out. It didn't brown as I wanted, and the "grill marks" did not come through the mat. I bought mine at Menards ( a regional home improvement here in the states) and the real eason I got the first one was it was on sale (for free, they rebated the purchase price). I splurged on the second one, it was $5. These aren't the ones you see advertised (Yoshi?) but they look the same to me. I've cooked sausage patties and links as well as bacon (of course, the eggs) and they all came out nice. The grease does stay on the mat, so if you cook a lot of meats and you have to manage to soak it up or spill it all over the grill.

Edit to add: I've only used this on a gas grill, not sure how it would do with charcoal.

Last edited:
Interesting. Looks like the stuff we've got on the bottom of the oven as a liner.

I'm trying to figure out what I'd use it for though, as I'm perfectly happy cooking eggs on a cast iron pan.

Maybe smaller things like veg and the like? But I've got a little perforated pan I use for that.

Thanks Fred, i will give it a try but like Brent i am not sure what i would use it for. My mother in law is always buying things from commercials so I guess this must have been in some as seen on tv direct marketing commercial.
Maybe it would be nice for grilling salmon. Although we have a flat griddle we use for that.
Oh well will try it out otherwise i will get to hear about it. Lol

I'd say give it a shot. Seems a little bit like a solution looking for a problem. But there might be a killer app for using it that would make it worthwhile.

Who am I to judge? But other than the novelty, If I had to cook eggs on the grill, I'd just put a pan there, LOL

For salmon, I think its pretty hard to beat the wet cedar plank method... Looks fancy but works really well... I still haven't _quite_ finished off the offcuts from our fence I put in 10 years ago.