For All You M&M Lovers!

Dave Hoskins

Did this one yesterday and I think it turned out fairly well. The sunken stomas in mountain cedar seem to be deeper than in red cedar. At least it seems that way to me. Of course mountain cedar is just a fancy name for juniper. Still has the cedar aroma and I actually like the brownish color better than the red. The general diameter of this is 8" with a total height coming in at 4 1/2" with a depth of 2". The volume was measured with M&M's and it held about 1 1/2 cups before they started running out the stomas. Guess they wanted to escape. Anyway the wood was sealed as I usually do with walnut oil and then I rubbed in 2 coats of walnut oil/shellac mixed real heavy with shellac and then buffed it. The sides are a little bit thicker than I usually do on these but I wanted to keep it totally intact. Several times I was kinda puckering wondering if it was gonna hold together. Luck was with me and it did. Hopes ya likes it. :D

Oh, yeah! They may have escaped the bowl but not me. The rest went back into a jar I keep out in the shop for photo purposes. And yeah, I do have to rotate the stock all the time. Darned things are slightly addictive.

I've been wanting to try one of these tri-corner bowls for a while.. then you add in the extra natural edge to take it up another notch. Killing me here :) Nice work!

Haven't tried one of those yet either, and a little reluctant since I like my fingers and would like to take all 10 to the grave with me... I've skinned enough knuckles just doing regular round bowls without having a propeller whirling around them... here's another Pretty bowl for you to spend.

Thanks, Vaughn! Ya gotta get rid of them negative waves, Chuck! Things WILL pick up. Already are, somewhat. I just an order for 8 pecan bowls. Going to cut the wood this morning. Was going to yesterday but just as I was ready to do it the rain would try and start. Never really rained but sure played with me a lot. OH, well. Will get er done this morning. It WILL pick up, Chuck. It will.