3d Printer Forum

I haven't really found one yet that grabs me.

I mostly just cruise thingiverse and do specific google searches if I'm having issues.

Amazing there's not one super site for 3D printing. I've been following your discussions here and watching what you guys build and it's been very interesting. The little bit of knowledge I picked up here helped me last week to design (SketchUp), export (.stl) and print some 3D graphics on my grandson's XYZ da Vinci 1.0 printer to help someone restoring a vintage car battery for a big time car collector. All the various setting combinations were very puzzling and I spent a lot of time thrashing around various forums looking for ways to make the lettering better. Fortunately, my grandson and his Dad were able to figure it all out and get the piece finished for today's judging. The whole process was very interesting....another rabbit hole to fall down!

Seems like I'm doing about the same things.

If I recall properly, both of you guys are using Skynet3d firmware. What version are you on?

Looks like version 2.3.1, probably should look to see if there is a more recent one, but things have been working pretty well on mine, so didn't want to mess it up.

Amazing there's not one super site for 3D printing. I've been following your discussions here and watching what you guys build and it's been very interesting. The little bit of knowledge I picked up here helped me last week to design (SketchUp), export (.stl) and print some 3D graphics on my grandson's XYZ da Vinci 1.0 printer to help someone restoring a vintage car battery for a big time car collector. All the various setting combinations were very puzzling and I spent a lot of time thrashing around various forums looking for ways to make the lettering better. Fortunately, my grandson and his Dad were able to figure it all out and get the piece finished for today's judging. The whole process was very interesting....another rabbit hole to fall down!

Yeah, it is definitely a rabbit hole, but once you get some of it down, it's pretty straight forward. Then again, same as with my firmware version, I really got to the point I was able to do what I was wanting to do and kinda stopped trying to improve.

Looks like version 2.3.1, probably should look to see if there is a more recent one, but things have been working pretty well on mine, so didn't want to mess it up. ...

Yeah, it is definitely a rabbit hole, but once you get some of it down, it's pretty straight forward. Then again, same as with my firmware version, I really got to the point I was able to do what I was wanting to do and kinda stopped trying to improve.

I'm on v2.3.2, which seems to be working OK. I noticed on the Skynet Facebook page they spoke of v2.3.9, then saw v2.4.3 on Github, but didn't see where either had the Anet configurations. Besides, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

The only thing I've had an issue with is Octoprint. Occasionally, it appears the server just dies, but the printer continues to operate to completion so I haven't let it bother me too much. I see they have a new version 1.3.3r3, so I'll give that a try. I'm on 1.3.2 (master branch).

Edit: I did a 'check for update' from within Octoprint and it says I'm up to date using 1.3.2.

Last edited:
Though I would think this to be a REALLY unusual request I will ask anyway.

AT WORK - we are researching 3D Metal printing. We had parts made for us and we are doing some due diligence with heat treating and machining characteristics. This is my project. I'm sorry but I cannot divulge too much about the project.

I am falling short on heat treating, annealing, hardening of the 3D printed process. The process of 3D printing is more similar to powdered metal that it is to wrought metal. There ARE metallurgical differences.

If in your travels and explorations you stumble across any groups that are into 3D metal printing or heat treating of 3D metal printed parts --- PLEASE - take note and let me know some contact information. Even to email me ANY information specific to 3D metal printing and heat treating of the same you find @ leo.voisine@mahr.com

Please do not email me about plastic or hobby stuff. I am only interested in the industrial level, additive metal processing.