Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For you turners

For you turners

ok i dont have a spinny thing yet but i do have the desire in the future, so i am trying to get the right space and DC for one. if you folks have seen my layout .skp file in a earlier post i was thinkun of puttin it next the double doors that open to the wood storage room. the door would open against it. i know those critters make alot of chips when you get them workin right. so my question is ,,would a port in the floor near the lathe be sufficient? and then the room needed for one would be? just rough idea would be helpful steve .A has a old oliver that is around 58" long and he said around 18" deep so in my mind i could put the tail towards the dbl doors and let the door open against when needed, while workin on it i would have the doors closed so would that be ok to do so in your opiion.. stu you dont count you do things in a shoe box already i need more room than that. thanks for the help.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

larry....my little Jet VS Mini with an extention sprays a 6-7' wide area with curlies and saw dust........it's about 48" from the head stock to the end of the bed extention......You couldn't have too many or enough DC openings around it.

When I get a lot of wet curlies, I tend to sweep and scoop them up manually instead of sucking them into the DC. If I suck up too many long wet shavings, they tend to wad up in a ball around the impeller blades. I do use the DC with a Big Gulp scoop for sanding, and it works pretty well, except when I use the air hose to blow out the inside of a hollow form. That tends to shower the area pretty good. I also use the Big Gulp when I'm turning dry wood. It doesn't catch a lot of the chips, but is does create an airflow and gathers most of the dust.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Actually Larry, the old Oliver measures 54" in length, 24" in width with the added electronic box.....sorry if I typed in the numbers wrong when I sent you the PM.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

thanks guys, sounds like i might be better off sweeping ,,i remeber mr C sayin that wet shavings arent good on DC because of CLOGGIN. so the postion should work i think.. naw steve i just wrote it wrong close is good please dont beat me master

Larry, you got a coal shovel

Seriously, that is about the best thing I've found, after the shoveling, a broom.

For sanding sand such, on DC port is enough, for that it works well!

Welcome to the abyss!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

My DC system. I need to use it one of these days.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Larry I just use one of those old wheat shovels. Steve knows what I am talking about. They will scoop a lot of curlies.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

My kids clean up the mess for me. Who knew that they would think that it is fun.

looks like

the shovels have it,,will have to see if i can talk steve A outa one he dont use them anymore well maybe he does for his corn burner...