Child's Dresser / Changing Table

glenn bradley

Grandchild coming in July. I couldn't stand by and watch someone buy them a dressing table from their registry at Target. I figured a removable changing table top on a dresser would get them some more mileage. Here's the general idea without the changing-top in place.

Niki CT Dresser (0).jpg

The material of choice is cherry with some walnut accents.

Niki CT Dresser (2).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (6).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (11.3).jpg

Straight forward frame and panel construction with M&T at the corner posts.

Niki CT Dresser (23).jpg

A little hand work on the arches and the raised panels.

Niki CT Dresser (28).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (30).jpg , Niki CT Dresser (32).jpg

I had fun with the pulls . . . .

I cut all the pulls from a single blank and draw out my rough shape.

Niki CT Dresser (86).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (87).jpg

I made a swing bar that uses my circle jig to set the pivot point. I add threaded inserts and rough cut the shape on the bandsaw. Then use the jig for a consistent curve.

Niki CT Dresser (98).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (97).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (93).jpg

Niki CT Dresser (99).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (101).jpg

Then I finish the hand hole on the bandsaw.

Niki CT Dresser (105).jpgNiki CT Dresser (106).jpg

A littl shaping and I get these.

Niki CT Dresser (108).jpg

Last edited:
Dry fit time . . .

Niki CT Dresser (122).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (121).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (123).jpg

First coat of finish . . .

Niki CT Dresser (129).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (132).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (133).jpg

I'll complete the finish application today. then it will cure for a couple of weeks and I'll "finish the finish". Should still be done in time for the baby shower :thumb:

i was gonna say that you would have to hurry on this project but after i saw your pics i guess you dont, got it do already.. did you use the samejint as always on the corners glenn that fine rabet joint?

i was gonna say that you would have to hurry on this project but after i saw your pics i guess you dont, got it do already.. did you use the samejint as always on the corners glenn that fine rabet joint?

Nope. this one is just plain ole M&T. 3/4" rails into a 1-1/2" square post at each corner. With the post being so small I do haunch the tenons to overlap in the post to give me a little more long grain to spread glue on.

corner joint-1.jpg . corner joint-2.jpg

We always see the coolest stuff come out of your shop, and this piece is no exception. Fine work, Glenn! :clap:

Thanks for sharing the process and the photos. And congrats on the upcoming grandkid. :thumb:

Very thoughtful, and very nicely done. Didn't think you were old enough to be a grandpa. Congratulations. Wish I had time to see it before it goes into service. My life could use a Bradley fix for in inspiration.