Child's Dresser / Changing Table

Glenn, very, very nicely done. Looking forward to seeing the changing top. I agree with you on making it separate (as I did) for they are only used for a limited time. Are you considering a glass top for protection?

Robert, you may have solved my concerns. I have been worried about how the top will fare after several months of being covered and used in the planned manner.

Catching up :).

Drawer fronts and pulls going on.

Niki CT Dresser (144).jpg

Some overall shots. The first one is in daylight coming in the side door. the rest are under a couple of incandescents I use for material selection so, not spectacular. I should mention that the elevator feet are down almost an inch, leftover from needing clearance during finishing.

Niki CT Dresser (145).jpgNiki CT Dresser (146).jpgNiki CT Dresser (147).jpgNiki CT Dresser (148).jpgNiki CT Dresser (149).jpgNiki CT Dresser (150).jpg

The topper is next. It may or may not make the baby shower but, that's OK. I'll post some more pics once it is inside under more normal circumstances.

Last edited:
Better pics :thumb:

Niki CT Dresser (152).jpg

Butterflied raised panels.

Niki CT Dresser (153).jpg

I tried to pay close attention to the figure on the arched stretchers.

Niki CT Dresser (154).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (159).jpg

The chatoyance on the corner posts is kinda fun.

Niki CT Dresser (155).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (156).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (157).jpg

That's about it.

Niki CT Dresser (158).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (160).jpg

Glenn that is one very nice set of draws. Things that I like

- bevel edge on draw fronts
- pulls
- side panels
- rear done to suite fact that that side is seldom seen.
- color and tone of finish.
Finally i like that the bottom edges are curved with feet.
All the stand alone draws i have owned or own have flat to floor sides.

You have done a lot of nice pieces but this piece hit a spot for me.

Well done Glenn thanks for taking time to share with us here.

4648202.jpg

Beautiful work as always, Glenn! :bow:

Glenn you are the tops. Beautiful piece of work. The crisp lines, matching grain and just go on and on is just tremendous. You also nail the photographery . What talent!!!!
David

The topper was easier than I expected and so I may have the completed unit ready for the baby shower after all :). I made a random observation about how comfy we become in our own spaces. I had moved the jointer to allow a longer infeed and just happened to notice how close I cut it without even thinking about it.

Niki CT Dresser (161).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (162).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (163).jpg

I do, however, always leave plenty of room to perform an operation. Overreaching and stretching have no place near a spinning cutter.

Niki CT Dresser (164).jpg

Here's the oversize blanks that turn into actual parts.

Niki CT Dresser (165).jpg

I only needed four rabbets so I cut them at the tablesaw. Using this method, I like to leave just a bit of material behind rather than try to get right into the corner with the tablesaw.

Niki CT Dresser (168).jpg

I just trim this little ridge with a chisel and a knife.

Niki CT Dresser (167).jpg . Niki CT Dresser (166).jpg

Someone asked about the dimensions on the rabbets; they are cut deep for aesthetic reasons that you will see later. Here's the general idea:

Niki CT Dresser (169).jpg

The divider that keeps the changing pad in place and creates the little compartment for diapers, wipes and all that uses sliding dovetail joinery. I have a router sled that comes in handy for lots of stuff, sliding DT's being one of them.

Niki CT Dresser (170).jpg

cont'd . . .

About those rabbets . . . I wanted this:

rabbet joint 1.JPG

Not this:

rabbet joint 2.JPG

The router table sled lets me make a stopped dovetail very easily. A stop in the miter slot assures I don't miss the mark. The stopped part of the divider gets the 'tail' cut short and rounded with a rasp to fit the routed DT slot

Niki CT Dresser (171) - Copy.jpg . Niki CT Dresser (174) - Copy.jpg

The other divider "tail" gets to show.

Niki CT Dresser (172) - Copy.jpg . Niki CT Dresser (180) - Copy.jpg

I cut an arch on the rear part of the topper frame to echo the arches on the lower stretchers of the dresser. I rough it out on the bandsaw and fair it to the line with a spokeshave.

Niki CT Dresser (175) - Copy.jpg

Just one of the benefits of sliding DT's . . . self squaring :)

Niki CT Dresser (176) - Copy.jpg . Niki CT Dresser (181) - Copy.jpg

And here's the first phase of finishing.

Niki CT Dresser (182).jpg

Last edited: