The MacGyver is Strong in This One

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I was working on the sprinkler system in the back yard today and I was putting temporary caps on various sprinkler lines. I had bought eight of them at Lowe's, but ended up needing nine. Not wanting to make yet another trip to the store, I dug around in the garage and found a length of PVC pipe and a 1/2" coupling. A couple of minutes with the heat gun and voila! A temporary pipe cap. MacGyver would have been proud of me!

I ain't commenting on the poetry thing.:rofl: But I gots to say Vaughn that was a good and redneck solution to the problem at hand! Yep, MacGyver wouyld have been proud.

Funny you should mention that. My wife noticed last night that my neck was sunburned from spending the afternoon messing with the sprinklers. So I am indeed a redneck. :D (Actually I come from a long line of redneck stock...my dad's family was from central Texas and my mom's was from Kansas. I just look like a hippie...the long hair is there to hide the red neck, lol.)

And Glenn's right...in hindsight I didn't go FULL MacGyver. :D

Well dont know about MacGyver or Redneck in this solution, i do see some clever Yankee ingenuity at work though i think you gotta move to the North East to get that accreditation. Nice fix.
Funny thing, when i first came to Canada, i used to enjoy a trip back to the store for more parts. Now i am dreading being short of something as i have built up a total lack of desire to go to the likes of the borg for anything. I wonder what went wrong.

The irony of all this is now that the sprinkler project is done, I have five or six unneeded pipe caps. Of course, Murphy being who and what he is, the next time I need a 1/2" PVC threaded pipe cap, I won't be able to find one, so I'll be heading back to Lowe's. :D

Funny you should mention that. My wife noticed last night that my neck was sunburned from spending the afternoon messing with the sprinklers. So I am indeed a redneck. :D (Actually I come from a long line of redneck stock...my dad's family was from central Texas and my mom's was from Kansas. I just look like a hippie...the long hair is there to hide the red neck, lol.)

And Glenn's right...in hindsight I didn't go FULL MacGyver. :D

Not to take anything away from you, since I'm a Texan too, but the term "Redneck" actually goes back to the coal miners of W. VA, PA and area.... when they were on strike in the 20' or 30's and gov't called in army to put them down, the miners all wore red neckerchief to distinguish themselves from army and other "enforcers" hired by the mining companies. In Kansas they were called Redlegs....:D:D:D

Was a good solution though!

BTW, don't like the "New" McGyver show.... the old one was a lot more fun to watch.

If I remember well McGyver creativity and resources were put to work any time that he was locked or trapped on a dungeon or barn or fridge or any closed space, which I do not think was your case Vaughn, so I guess that yours is far better than McGyver one as you don't need such motivation :rofl:

If I remember well McGyver creativity and resources were put to work any time that he was locked or trapped on a dungeon or barn or fridge or any closed space, which I do not think was your case Vaughn, so I guess that yours is far better than McGyver one as you don't need such motivation :rofl:

In a sense I WAS trapped. My wife was hounding me to take care of all the dry spots in the lawn, and fixing the sprinklers was my only way out. :D