pen & pencil set for retiring coworker

Dan Noren

Staff member
now that i'm finally back in the shop again, starting off with a pen and pencil set for a coworker that is retiring. i decided to go with purpleheart, and after sanding down to a 12000 finish, worked out quite nicely. finished off with my pen finish (shellac, denatured alcohol, and boiled linseed oil), 3 coats, then a good dose of the white hut wax. nice to know, that after a couple of years of no turning, still haven't lost the old touch. :D

Attachments

• 001 purpleheart blank.JPG
    001 purpleheart blank.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 002 new jig for pencil.JPG
    002 new jig for pencil.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 003 drilling blank.JPG
    003 drilling blank.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 004 both blanks drilled.JPG
    004 both blanks drilled.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 005 pencil blank ready to be turned.JPG
    005 pencil blank ready to be turned.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 006 finished set.JPG
    006 finished set.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 46
Nice job Dan. Imo these custom made pens make excellent gifts.

I have three that are very special to me.

You sure that wood is purple heart? Reason i ask is i have some Jatoba that looks exactly the same color , grain. Especially in the image of the cut and drilled blanks. The purple heart i have is more purple to start with and turns brown with time.

Nice job Dan. Imo these custom made pens make excellent gifts.

I have three that are very special to me.

You sure that wood is purple heart? Reason i ask is i have some Jatoba that looks exactly the same color , grain. Especially in the image of the cut and drilled blanks. The purple heart i have is more purple to start with and turns brown with time.

yup, those are purpleheart rob, freshly turned and polished. the wood just below the surface is usually a touch lighter. a few days in sunlight will purple them up right quick.