4" PVC to 4" Flex Hose

Mike Turner

I bought a piece of 4" sch 40 dwv pvc and the fitting for this to 4" flexible hose.Looking at the pic it looks like the fitting foes inside the pvc pipe.To make this work I will have to sand and or remove some.I at first thought there was a burr on the inside edge where it was cut but it didnt matter ...still won't fit...Any ideas or suggestions.???

http://www.ptreeusa.com/dust_PVC.html

In my small shop I only need one piece...Its odd in our Lowes a 5' piece sells for $12.05...a 10' piece sells for $12.60..I see all there pvc is like that..

Is the pipe Schedule 40, or DWV? There's a difference. DWV has thinner walls, and a slightly bigger inside diameter. That may explain your problem.

Yep, you need the thinwall (also soil pipe and several other names). But if you have a heat gun you might be able to heat the flex and force it in. Best to move to the drain pipe.

On the pipe it says coex cellular core sch 40 dwv pvc I will check Lowes out again today and see if they have the thin wall stuff.I ll take the fitting with me.The fitting will almost go in but wont quite make it. Thanks Guys!

Yep, you need the thinwall (also soil pipe and several other names). But if you have a heat gun you might be able to heat the flex and force it in. Best to move to the drain pipe.
I havent gotten to the flex connecting to the fitting yet..trying to get the fitting inside the pvc.....Then Ill slip the flex over the other end of the fitting...Thats a snug one too...Would be good to have a heat gun for that too.I have heard of people taking the wire out of that to make that connect easier but I get the other end first!! Thanksssss

Last edited:
In building my DC found it isn't a lot of fun finding the proper fit from PVC to flex tube. The thin wall is the way to go. Also Rockler has fittings that work well. Just have to make sure you get the right one. No store around here to dry fit before buying. It can be a challenge.
David

Quick connect

I used the four inch Silverline sewer pipe from lowes for my dust collect and the quick connect from Woodcrafters (link below) smooth end fits perfectly inside the sewer line and the flex screws onto the QC, makes for a nice transition from pipe to flex..for vertical runs I just ran a couple short sheet metal screws through the pipe into the connector they are rock solid won't come loose..just to be clear, sheet metal screws I am talking about are the little quarter inch self taping ones, I put one on each side of the pipe..

Quick Connect

Last edited:
I used thin wall & using the band saw cut 5/8" out of the side wall & with hose clamps pulled it together & glued it. Now it will fit inside the hose. Also it will I if I remember right fit inside a regular piece of thin all tube this makes it possible to slide & glue thin wall tube to one end so it fits the regular fittings on one end & inside the flex hose on the other end.