Well... I didn't expect that!

Tom Baugues

I needed to plane down some rough cut cherry tonight for a project I'm working on so I grabbed a few boards from my stack and sent them through the planer. With the first two done I started with the last of 3 boards I selected off of my rack. All three boards looked very much the same in their rough cut state however this last board exited the planer with straight green grain so certainty not cherry. I was really shocked by what I was seeing. They all looked the same going into the planer. Any idea what it might be? I thought maybe poplar?
IMG_3765.jpgIMG_3766.jpgIMG_3769.jpg

Thanks guys. I had assumed that since the outer rough cut was "red" like the other cherry wood that it too was a piece of cherry since I have never purchased any poplar wood before. So will the green grain stay in the wood or does it fade away?

Don't know if this will give you the look your looking for, but in the past I have taking poplar with green shades, I put a thick application of walnut stain, left it for 20 to 30 min then wipe and let it dry. I then sanded down back to bare wood, the result was it completely removes the green in favor of a darker shade because the green portion was softer wood soaks up the stain much deeper. This tends to make the grain really pop even after sanding to bare wood... it is a trick I have done several times, but I usually just put a poly coat or three after I sand to bare wood...worth a try, maybe try with cherry stain after the walnut treatment might look ok...