I've got to learn how to use these tools.

Tom Baugues

I have a fairly nice Craftsman jointer that I got from my father. Cuts great and works well.....if I knew how to use it. I always seem to end up with boards that are wedge shape rather than square. I'm sure this is user (me) error. I've tried keeping the board flat on the infeed side and sometimes I've also tried to keep the board on the out feed end but have not found the magic solution I guess.
I've watched a few videos which make it seem to work like magic so what am I missing?

Have you checked to see if the tables are in the same plane. I had this issue with a jointer some years back. Turned out one table was angled up towards the cutter head. Can't remember which table or which way it was out but do remember all the wedges.

Yep like Rennie said. Make sure the tables are coplanar. A straight edge and a feeler gauge can get you most of the way there.

Also check that the cutters aren't too high above the outfeed. If you lay a straight board on it each knife rotation should advance the board about 1/8", check the knives at different spots.

Last edited: