First cuts with the Chinese Laser!

OK OK, I've been here (minus a year of regrouping) about 2 years. I've posted multiple pictures of metal projects and finishing. In fact the only wood project I remember posting was the swap item and it was both metal and wood! :D

Here's the first cut pieces off the new laser as I was testing and trying things tonight. These are both 6" tall cut from 1/4" Luan plywood (cheep to experimento with!) I drew up the cat sign from scratch in VCarve last year and the tree was a DXF from a plasma cutting site that I worked into the roots the name of a friend that we lost to cancer.

I'll make some more of these knicknack size items to put in the Boutique booth that's opening up in about a week where I'll have a booth with my metal art, tumblers, and some wood items. These are just off the Laser with zero finishing or other talent so it BARELY rises to the level of "On Topic" but at least it's wood this time!! :rofl:

20170605_212622.jpg20170605_212651.jpg

Those look really good Robert. I've got some wood pieces that were lasered that had a finish and the laser etched off the finish lightening the areas that were etched rather than burning them. Can't wait to see what else you come up with. :thumb:

Man, those look great, especially for the first bits off the machine. :thumb: Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store.

Having way too much fun with this thing! I'm headed back to town to get more hammers - I sent the boutique where I have a booth a picture of this and she sold the 4 I have done before I have taken them to the store! I'm going to do a few other sayings I've found like a smaller hammer that says Daddy's Little Helper and Being an Awesome Dad? - Nailed it! :D

hammer.jpg

Thanks all! Here's one I did at the end of the run last night. I will up the speed a little for the next one, this was at 400 mm/s and 35% power which for me is only about 5 mA. (Tube max is 25 mA). I still haven't had time to make a chart of percentage/power/mA but I hope to this next week!!

Dad's got the hammers and of course Father's Day is coming up but I needed something pretty for the mama's! I got this paisley repeating design from a google image search and with a LOT of cleaning up and redrawing some in CAD I got it to come out in nice clean vectors. My plasma software lets me fit paths to a closed path so I was able to draw a rectangle the width of the rolling pin and the height of the circumference and then 'fit' the pattern to the path so it is seamless where the pattern matches up! :D

Leo, get your machine here and I'll share the dxf! :thumb: If your CAD can't fit to closed path I can make it whatever size you may need. (or anyone else of course!)

20170611_064009.jpg

I am planning on picking up my machine Saturday the 17-th

I have very very little in preparation of it's arrival.

Once it's here I will need to learn how to use it.

Machine wise, you got a month on me.

Knowledge wise you got a year on me.

Between you and leo, i'm seriously tempted to pick up one of them thar fancy lazyer doohickies ...

You two gotta engrave/etch some brass for me first, please - lol -- i'd love to use it to mark my business name on the backs of projects :D

Between you and leo, i'm seriously tempted to pick up one of them thar fancy lazyer doohickies ...

You two gotta engrave/etch some brass for me first, please - lol -- i'd love to use it to mark my business name on the backs of projects :D

I'm loving it! Wish I'd gotten it sooner!! Today I'm going to finish a couple of metal plasma-cut tattered flags and I used Cermark and the laser to etch the pledge of allegiance onto the white stripes. I'll post them, the results would be the same with brass. It's a thicker font than you'd use on a little plaque but there should be no problem with detail as the laser beam is about .1 mm wide.

Here's my first try at a picture, a little more fine tuning and learning how to manipulate the picture is in order. There's a program called PhotoGrav I'm thinking of buying, this one is just a little tweaking in the laser program (RDWorks).

Wood Carly1.jpgCarly1.jpg

Well I finally got around to mixing medias again and now processes too! I plasma cut the 16 gauge metal then sanded off the mill scale, used chemical patina to make the "Dad's" look torch flame treated then used Cermark to etch on the "Workshop". Laser cut the handle from 1/4" oak plywood and rubbed on some tung oil. It was fun to design and make!!
20170613_134123.jpg

Robert, are you selling your hammers on Etsy? If so, there is a hammer shown from etsy with your saying on it being discussed on the USA Today page. Just wondering if you had seen it and if it was yours???

Robert, are you selling your hammers on Etsy? If so, there is a hammer shown from etsy with your saying on it being discussed on the USA Today page. Just wondering if you had seen it and if it was yours???

I don't sell on Etsy, I can't keep up with their penny you to pieces listing fees. They're not expensive but annoying to keep track of what's listed, what's expiring, etc. haha. I saw the saying used like this and made it myself so it's not the same one but I'll take publicity any way I can!! :thumb:

I sell on Square but don't have the hammers listed there, they're in a local retail shop and what I sell through my Facebook page. :D