Shop Stool

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I'm getting too long in the tooth to be standing the entire time I am in the shop. I've decided I need a stool. I can use it while sanding small parts, some hand work, and general looking around when I feel like thinking for a while. :huh: Jan could also use it for when she is in the shop to help relieve her from standing too long or resorting to sitting on the floor.

Checked on Craigslist, nothing there right now. I remembered a couple I saw on my last trip to Harbor Freight...

the biker style,
image_25659.jpg

and the mechanic style,
image_11336.jpg
Both have wheels, I feel that is a must. The mech style starts out lower at 15" (good for Jan who would use it when painting, sanding, and distressing furniture (a chore she prefers to do with the piece on the floor) but only goes up to 20", not really high enough for me to work at a 32" bench. The biker version goes from a low of 20" all the way up to over 28". Plenty high enough for me but a difficult climb for Jan and her bad knees and it is also too high for her to work with something on the floor.

I really don't want to have to buy two stools, but finding a good combination of these two might prove difficult.

What's in your shop? Do you have a stool in the shop (please no funny pictures from Dan :doh::rofl:)? What jobs do you perform using the stool? Any recommendations?

I have the mechanic style. I don't like working on the floor even when I am sitting on the floor. I set up a low table/box to place the work on. Nothing fixed. Just whatever is the right height. The size of the workpiece may have a 'voice' in how high the surface must be for comfort. My two cents.

I have the mechanics stool and love rolling around on it for low items. (Grandkids have a ball with it.). Other stool is an Old kitchen stool with foldup steps. Works ok but not on rollers.
I like the looks of the biker style especially the well placed rollers to prevent tipping.
Dream up your own style and create one that fits all. Bet somebody will have a brilliant idea.

David

I have a stool with no padding i got from target. It has no wheels.
I prefer it that way.

My big concern with wheels is having the stool move out the way while trying to sit and ending up going down to the floor full speed with resulting consequences. Btdt in distant past

I generally sit to just take a break and ponder my next move. I dont find sitting and doing something workable unless its say electric or the like kind of work.

I had one of the HF mechanic stools and really found it to be useful. The only problem with mine was the lift mechanism quit working within a year or so and I pitched it....never did get a replacement.

You might take a look at drafting stools. Most are sturdy and well padded. Lots of them adjust from a low end of 18" and go higher than the two you are looking at. Here's one from Amazon..... and another.

Last edited:
I have some older kitchen bar stools with backs that work well for long sitting as laying back a little does take some stress off time to time. But for most of my benches I've got some padded top folding stools of different heights, I think 18", 24", and 30" used for the height needed and they store away nicely. I think I got those at walmart.

I actually have both. I have a "bar stool" height stool in the shop. The padded seat has no back on it but it swivels and I like that, it has no wheels so I do have to pick it up to move it but that's never felt like a pain to do so. I also have a mechanics style just like you show. I have it in my garage and find it most handy when checking tires pressures or washing car tires and rims however it does not go high enough to sit at the workbench and do any work. I'm like Carol....If I use it I set up a lower table to work off of. It does have wheels and I've been know the "glide" around the garage to get tools from my tool box then back to my table. It is lower than the bar stool and does require a little extra "umph" to get up on these old legs sometimes.

I remember when that mechanics creeper first was shown, and they are still not out there. Great idea, for larger shops, but two bay shops (mom and pop) they may not work so well. I do wonder about the battery life in larger shops (multiple people using them).
I have tried the low profile stool in various sorts. How often do you raise it? We didn't and so it was more cost effective to stick with our old standby, a milk crate with a piece of plywood bolted to the top. It can be used for a step stool as well, or placed on a dolly if you want/need movement. Use it to carry out the tools you need, place them on the ground and sit on it.

I have a couple of the 4-legged stools...one from Harbor freight and the other from Woodcraft. I find if they don't have wheels they stick more easily when you kick them across the shop.

Shop%20Stool%20Door%20800.jpg

Most of the time I use the short folding ladder with added padded cushion. It gets used to climb on too of course. Sometimes it even is tipped on its side and and sat on briefly to lower my reach. There is also the fixed 15 inch mechanics stool on casters that gets a lot of use mostly on cars or motorcycle service. Lately I have stashed an old web folding lawn chair for guests or web surfing. But the 2 step ladder is the go to seat for cabinet work, sanding, finishing, and milling. Its too short for a lathe or bench work.

I was very lucky ans acquired 2 stools like this one from McMaster.

They are industrial stools used in exactly the manner you are talking about.

The assemblers in the factories use these stools.

They are designed for extended periods of time.

VERY comfortable.

stool.jpg