A Plethora of Pecan Bowl

Dave Hoskins

Had a order from a regular customer who wanted 6-8 pecan bowls, with somewhat wormy wood, in the 8-9 inch diameter ranged. I aim to please and this is what I came up with for her. There are 9 and the last one is actually 10", but I couldn't see turning it down to make a 9" bowl. I'm waiting for her to tell me which ones she wants for sure right now. She's never in a hurry so it might take a day or two to hear back from her. No problem. This will be the 27th order like this she has done with me. She's not the biggest customer I have that's not a re seller but she is getting close. Anyway these were also finished to her specs. Sealed with walnut oil and then a natural finish using a walnut oil based wax thinned slightly for a more dull sheen. Anyway, this is what I have been doing the past few days besides dodging thunderstorms. :D

Beautiful job Dave. Great tribute to our state tree. I've turned some local pecan wood, but none of it seems to be a beautiful as yours is. May have to try again. Have some in the firewood pile.

Thanks, guys. Steve, this pecan wood came from a real boggy area about 1 1/2 miles from me. The only way it drains is from evaporation, which made for a highly muggy logging operation to get the trees out of there. Swore a couple of times I was back in Nam. The location of the trees has a lot to do with the large amount of spalting that's in these bowls. As you know environment is everything with wood. Thanks again, fellers!!!

That is some interesting wood alright. I hear you on not wanting to turn down a nice blank :). I think sometimes it can make sense to get a bit more figure or a better shape (and that's something I've had to work on against my "don't waste wood" instincts) but don't really see that here.

Nice job on having a nice regular looking set. Good to have some solid repeat customers like that. Says something nice about your work and ability to keep them happy :thumb: