Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Seeing Red

Still Seeing Red

This is more red eucalyptus (will this guy ever run out of the red wood? ), about 8 1/4" wide and 4 3/4" tall. It's pretty light, with 1/8" or so wall thickness. The opening warped something fierce during the drying process, so it ended up with a collar made of ebonized cherry. (I need to break down and buy some real ebony).

Finished with Formby's Tung Oil mix inside and out, and buffed with tripoli and white diamond, then Renaissance Wax.

Here's what I started with after drying...

Attachment 8708 Attachment 8709

And here's the finished result...once again, a boatload of pics, since I couldn't pick a favorite...

Attachment 8710 Attachment 8711 Attachment 8712 Attachment 8713 Attachment 8714 Attachment 8715 Attachment 8716

Critiques or comments are welcome and encouraged. Let me know what you do or don't like.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

WoW

Lots going on in that piece, are you sure you need that new lathe
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very Nice Vaughn! My man ....you've come a long ways!

Vaughan all I can say is great work.
    KEn

The vessel is absolutely primo, Vaughn!

The only thing that jumped out at me was the horizontal "light smile" on most of the pics. I can almost pick out the brand of your light tent -- just kidding!

I know it's mostly due to the sharp-ish curve at the top of the piece, together with the reflective finish ... but there must be a way to further diffuse the light source(s)?
    Last edited by Kerry Burton; 05-17-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Those are great!

Vaughn that is beautiful. I really like the color of that one. It has a lot going on with it. Nice job.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looks great, Vaughn! FWIW, I like the ebonized Cherry.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I agree with Kerry that the reflection is still a bit heavy on these pics. If I have time tonight I'll try a few more pics with more diffuse light. There's a fine line between showing just enough "bling" to illustrate how glossy the finish is, and having the glare overtake the picture.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Dang, Vaughn,

That piece is so gorgeous it's discouraging.

My Grandfather worked for the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railroad back in the teens and 20's. Legend has it they brought over a lot of eucalypts for railroad ties. It probably *is* just a legend, but it would be cool if he did bring some over, and that piece is descended from those...

Thanks,

Bill