Still Seeing Red

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is more red eucalyptus (will this guy ever run out of the red wood? :rolleyes: ), about 8 1/4" wide and 4 3/4" tall. It's pretty light, with 1/8" or so wall thickness. The opening warped something fierce during the drying process, so it ended up with a collar made of ebonized cherry. (I need to break down and buy some real ebony).

Finished with Formby's Tung Oil mix inside and out, and buffed with tripoli and white diamond, then Renaissance Wax.

Here's what I started with after drying...

HF019 - 01 800.jpg HF019 - 02 800.jpg

And here's the finished result...once again, a boatload of pics, since I couldn't pick a favorite...

HF019 - 05 800.jpg HF019 - 08 800.jpg HF019 - 04 800.jpg HF019 - 09 800.jpg HF019 - 07 800.jpg HF019 - 03 800.jpg HF019 - 06 800.jpg

Critiques or comments are welcome and encouraged. Let me know what you do or don't like. :)

The vessel is absolutely primo, Vaughn!

The only thing that jumped out at me was the horizontal "light smile" on most of the pics. I can almost pick out the brand of your light tent -- just kidding! :rolleyes:

I know it's mostly due to the sharp-ish curve at the top of the piece, together with the reflective finish ... but there must be a way to further diffuse the light source(s)?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, guys. :wave: I agree with Kerry that the reflection is still a bit heavy on these pics. If I have time tonight I'll try a few more pics with more diffuse light. There's a fine line between showing just enough "bling" to illustrate how glossy the finish is, and having the glare overtake the picture.

Dang, Vaughn,

That piece is so gorgeous it's discouraging.

My Grandfather worked for the San Diego and Arizona Eastern Railroad back in the teens and 20's. Legend has it they brought over a lot of eucalypts for railroad ties. It probably *is* just a legend, but it would be cool if he did bring some over, and that piece is descended from those... ;)

Thanks,

Bill